Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

will 5x120mm fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xsta, since you wanted an intelligent response (and didn’t want to pull it out of the 2 deleted threads)...here you go.

I come from the GTO side of the house originally. The choices for a 120mm bolt pattern are very slim and expensive, so I researched going to a 120.65mm bolt pattern to buy some racing rims. I first talked to Kurt at DiffTechniques over in Australia about it when I was ordering my rear gears. He had been running Cragar ProStars for a couple of years at that point with no problems. I also read many threads over on LS1GTO and took into account the good and the bad opinions. I decided to try a set of Welds on my GTO. They bolted right up with no problems. With these, I trapped 120 running out of gear at about the 1,250 mark. Since my regular street tires were in need of replacement, I looked into getting new rims at the same time. I chose the C6 Z06 rims due to offset and the fact not many people were running them at the time. I ended up getting a heck of a deal on them from a sponsor over on the Corvette forum...so I took the leap. The front rims required me run a spacer up front…thus requiring me go to a longer stud. I took all the measurements from the stock studs and called ARP to see if they had anything to fit. We found that the EVO stud, though costly, were a direct fit. I also discussed the bolt pattern difference with them and they saw no problems with running the very slight difference in bolt pattern. About 2,000 miles after the installation of the rims, I got in an accident and totaled the GTO. In the accident, the car went up in the air and landed sideways. The rear tire hit the pavement so hard it pushed the tire away from the rim and drug the rim on the ground. I don't know how it did it, but the tire still had air in it and I drove the car to a friends house to wait for the adjustor. The stock studs (only had ARPs in front) held up to this trauma in a situation I figured any studs would fail and certainly more than would normally be experienced. Here are a couple of pictures of the rim that is currently on a friend's car.

After you mentioned that there was a failure, I searched this forum to see the pics. I did find out that more people than I ever would have imagined have asked the same question on this forum. I never would have thought that anyone would want BMW rims on an Fbody...but it seems I was wrong. What I didn't think to search was BMW...hence why I didn't find the thread you found. What I did find interesting in your thread was first, the studs held up just fine and second, someone actually drove a vehicle with a tire that had to get loose progressively (read severe tire shake) without checking it. That was a failure of a lug nut...not the stud. The fear everyone has of the different bolt circle is the shearing of the stud...not poorly torqued lugs. Moral of that story is...if something feels way wrong in your front end...stop and check it!

I also found it interesting that everyone on this forum (that other post was copied from another forum) that has run BMW rims (including Nine Ball) have done so with great success.

If rumor is correct, the new Camaro is going to be built by Holden. That means, the bolt circle will most probably be 120mm. With the way all the racing rim manufacturers have jumped at making a rear rim with the correct offset for one of the most popular cars to race out there, I wouldn't hold my breath over them making a 120mm rim for the new Camaro for quite some time. To the best of my knowledge, Bogart is the only manufacturer currently to step up and make a 120mm bolt circle rim. Get used to these questions in the future.

Have a nice day.

Galen

Quick Reply: will 5x120mm fit?