Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks
View Poll Results: Which Tires Sould I Buy?
GoodYear Eagle F1
91.30%
Kumho ECSTA SPT
8.70%
Kumho ECSTA ASX
0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Which Tires Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by AnimalSS
RPM WS6 - Unfortunately for me, my SS is still a daily driver and we get a lot of rain (usually) here in the Tennessee Valley, not to mention all the Interstate construction… I mean perpetual Interstate construction. Since '93, when I bought my first Camaro, there has not been an absence of "orange barrels" on I-40 through E. Tenn. My '93 came with Eagle GAs (I think) and I wasn't a big fan of GoodYear then - lots of hydroplaning. I've tried BFGs, Dunlops, Pirelli, and Bridgestone. The Potenza RE 930 was my favorite tire before I tried the Eagle F1. Ironically, the only reason I tried the F1 was because I couldn't get the Potenza that I liked in a 285/40-17 and my buddy got me a deal on the F1s so, I gave 'em a shot. And, I'll tell ya, when you're commuting over rough pavement in the pouring rain only an arm's length from a concrete barrier, those F1s are the only tire (so far) that has kept my a$$ from grabbing leather while I drive.
But, by this time next year I'll be into an '07 Avalanche and the SS will be for "fun".
Good points. Sounds like a wet traction tire is basically top prioirty in your case. Might just be best to stick with the F1-D3 for the time being. Honestly, in the 3+ years that I've owned KDW tires, neither of my F-bodies have been caught in the rain so I really have zero experiance in regards to their rain handling ability.

Either way, the F1-D3 is a great tire. I've never owned it, but I've driven cars that have 'em and they seemed great. Just thought you could save a little cash with the KDW since IMO dry traction is basically the same either way. Maybe once you get the Avalanche you'll be able to try some other stuff.

If I ever get around to putting enough miles on my Camaro to need new tires again, if I don't get KDW again, I'll be considering the F1-D3s as well as the Michelin Pilot Sports. I've got the Pilot Sport A/S version on my Monte Carlo (in a 245/50/17 size) and I've been very happy with them, but of course of those choices the KDW is still the best price and it's been doing fine for traction considering the realitively stock state of my Camaro....
Old 08-04-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for BFG KDW I have them and love them. Nice and sticky. Seem to be wearing good too.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm curious… what kind of mileage are you guys getting on the KDWs with, let's say, "spirited" driving…
Old 08-04-2006, 10:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I'm curious… what kind of mileage are you guys getting on the KDWs with, let's say, "spirited" driving…
You mean MPG? Or how many miles till they wear out?

I don't really track MPG on my F-bodies.

If you mean how many miles they've lasted, unfortunatly that's another question I can't answer. Even after 3 years of owning multiple sets, I have yet to own a set of KDWs long enough to wear them out; I've either sold the wheel/tire package or sold the whole car before needing to replace them.

Only thing I can tell you for sure is, dry traction is great.... as good as Nitto DRs on the street, IMO. Handling is also fantastic.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry… yeah, I was referring to distance. I've gotten about 18k out of these F1s. Just wondered if the KDWs lasted longer than that for anyone.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

I haven't read all the posts, but the KDW tires work great in the rain for me. Kick a$$ tire. And they lasted well over 20k miles. Not sure of the exact mileage though.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay… I just got off the phone with my "tire-guy" (I had him check on some KDWs) and he told me that the KDWs were stickier than the F1s and I would probably get less miles out of them. Has anyone had a different experience?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Understood.

Personally I don't really look at wet traction as a major consideration because my F-body is a non-rain car, unless I get caught by accident in a freak storm.

Werd.

Did you all check otu the BFGoodrich G-Sports? Great dry ratings.. but I'm with ^^^... wet is a consideration in my tire shopping but nowhere near the main concern.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay… I just got off the phone with my "tire-guy" (I had him check on some KDWs) and he told me that the KDWs were stickier than the F1s and I would probably get less miles out of them. Has anyone had a different experience?
A couple things.

1. Either you're tire guy has his tires mixed up "KD with KDW" or he gets more commision for the KDW. The D3 is a LOT stickier than the KDW and is on par with the KD and PSP2.

2. Tirerack ratings are customer based and basically mean nothing.

3. Going Kuhmo's would be a big step backwards. KDW would be a slight step backwards.

4. Saying they are Goodyear F1's might confuse some people since the stock tires that came on our cars were Goodyear F1's which are a totally different tire than the F1 GS-D3.

4. If you want better traction both wet and dry get the D3. If you want a cheaper tire and better mileage out of it get the KDW. I'd get the GS-D3. Best tire I've ever used and I've used all listed except for the Firehawk although a buddy of mine just replaced his with the D3's and is really impressed.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Saying they are Goodyear F1's might confuse some people since the stock tires that came on our cars were Goodyear F1's which are a totally different tire than the F1 GS-D3.
…Best tire I've ever used and I've used
I'm with you on that one… the F1s are the best tire I ever used as well…

and yeah… I've been referring to the F1 GS-D3, just too lazy to type all that over and over. Just like the other day when I pulled up behind a 1st gen Mazda RX-7 GLS-SE Good Lord!

I'm probably going to stick with the F1 (GS-D3 ), just have to find the best deal. The last guy I got them from has recently lost his mind and decided he wants to charge a lot more than last time.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm with you on that one… the F1s are the best tire I ever used as well…

and yeah… I've been referring to the F1 GS-D3, just too lazy to type all that over and over. Just like the other day when I pulled up behind a 1st gen Mazda RX-7 GLS-SE Good Lord!

I'm probably going to stick with the F1 (GS-D3 ), just have to find the best deal. The last guy I got them from has recently lost his mind and decided he wants to charge a lot more than last time.
Do you have a Just Tire in your area. They usually have a good deal and have them in stock.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope. Never heard of them. We have a bunch of different independent shops and a few national chains (Free Service Tire, NTB). So far, everyone I've checked with is, at least, $100 per tire more than Tire Rack, even with shipping. I may just end up buying from Tire Rack and finding someone to mount/balance them for me.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Do you have a Just Tire in your area. They usually have a good deal and have them in stock.
Just Tires is the way to go! I always use them.

They usually can come within about $20 per tire of what Tire Rack wants online.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I had a Just Tires here I'd definitely check 'em out. Looks like Tire Rack might be the way to go. They should ship the tires from Georgia so, I wouldn't have to pay sales tax. That'll save me over $80 at their price, not to mention what they're selling these tires for locally.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I would get some KDW2s.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

I dont like any of those choices.
The Goodyears are obviously the best, but expensive as hell.
Kumho tires have a soft rubber compound and wear out fast, hence thier price.

Animal SS, what do you think about these?

They have an aggresive tread pattern, awesome reviews, they last 25,000 miles easy, and they are good in rain.
I am getting them for my 17X9.5 ZR1's that are presently in the mail.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=8
Old 08-04-2006, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

F1 vote yet again.

I had the KDW on my 02 Roush and got just shy of 13k, with some spirited driving. Not to mention I was driving about 10 mph when it was raining and was moving from one red light to the traffic up a little ways and slid into a truck

Never the less if you have a americas tire / discount tire direct they should be able to come close to tire rack prices. If you do go with tire rack make sure to call around and find out what shops charge for mounting them. I know all the shops I've worked at for 17's you'd be paying about 100-150 on mounting balancing disposal roughly.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

burnzilla - I haven't seen those before. I like them. They didn't come up when I put my tire size in (285/40-17). They may not come in that size. Since my A.R.s are 17x9.5, the 285s fit better. The sidewall stays flush with the rim, as opposed to the rim sticking out a little further. I've seen that on too many cars. People get really nice wheels and don't get wide enough tires. All those people have one thing in common… "curb rash". If they come in 285s, I might check them out.

00BlueTA - I think we might have a Discount Tire here, I'll have to check. As far as mounting/balancing, I've checked around to a few places and everybody charges something vastly different from the next guy. So far the range is $17 - $60 per tire. It seems the smaller, less equipped shops charge the most.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chaotic Firebird
Take a look at the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals. I have them and love them. I think they are a great tire for the money, better then the Kumho's, and are supposed to be really good in the rain too [haven't driven them in the rain, so I can't say anything].
That's what I just replaced my tires with and absolutely love them. They hold everything I can throw at them on the street, handle just fine in the rain, and are supposed to last a pretty decent while too and are a lot cheaper than a lot of the Goodyears and such.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well… I thought I would post an update. I ended up buying the BFG KDW's last September instead of the Good Year F1 GS-D3's. Since I've been driving on them over four months now, I thought I give you my opinion.

I saved over $400 by going with the BFG's. They were almost half the price of the F1's. But, imho, the KDW's can't hold a candle to the F1 GS-D3's. I get a lot more wheel spin on both wet and dry pavement than I ever did with my previous F1's. I've also noticed my ABS engaging a lot more than it ever used to with the F1's. On wet pavement, even when I make a conscious effort to manuever more carefully than I did with the F1's, it doesn't take much to make the car break loose. I know most of you guys never drive your cars in the rain and, probably, launching is a higher priority. But, I love driving my car. Anytime I have to drive, I wanna be in my SS. So overall, for a Daily Driver (like mine), the Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3 is far superior.