Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need my memory refreshed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need my memory refreshed...

Hey guys, i had a tire blow out yesterday and had a spare tire at home. heres the deal... the tire that blew was a 235/55/16 and the extra tire was a 225/55/16. I went to a shop today to get it mounted and balanced and the guy told me that it wasnt a good idea cuz one tire is taller than the other so it would be a little messed up. Now i thought that the first number was the tire width, and the second was the height. By my thinking, it appears that it wouldnt matter if it was a fatter tire. And now i lost my suspension book from school so i cant even look it up. So can someone clear this up for me? is this gonna be a big problem? thanks!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Syxx613
Hey guys, i had a tire blow out yesterday and had a spare tire at home. heres the deal... the tire that blew was a 235/55/16 and the extra tire was a 225/55/16. I went to a shop today to get it mounted and balanced and the guy told me that it wasnt a good idea cuz one tire is taller than the other so it would be a little messed up. Now i thought that the first number was the tire width, and the second was the height. By my thinking, it appears that it wouldnt matter if it was a fatter tire. And now i lost my suspension book from school so i cant even look it up. So can someone clear this up for me? is this gonna be a big problem? thanks!
the "55" refers to the height of the sidewall in percentage of the tread width, i think.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

You are thinking right but the difference is that they are still going onto the same width of the rim so it will push the tire taller with the wider tread.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree with CHOP SHOP
Old 09-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Launching!

the 235 will be a little taller and a little wider tire ,the 55 is sidewall % of the width ,so 55% of 235mm will be a taller sidewall tire then 55% of 225mm..you are talking 1/2 inch or less in height difference not really a big deal the tires should be ok till you have the time and money two get some new tires..but the guy was right in what he told you ,just maybe took a little to the extreme side.