Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

BFG Drag Radial owners...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they may be off by a few mm but hardly that noticible. I understand what you are saying but here's a pic when I had 315 Nittos... doesn't look like **** to me??? Maybe a 4x4 in this pic though
Attached Thumbnails BFG Drag Radial owners...-wheels3.jpg  
Old 10-02-2006, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02 SLP#686
When the BFG's are cold, they will spin rather easily, but a little heat and the stuck like glue when I had 330RWHP???

If you wanted tread depth, you shouldn't have bought a drag radial That's the whole point, they come with the minimum tread depth.
I understand that... Ive had DRs before. My last set were the Nittos and they had twice the tread depth. The Nittos lasted a LONG time. Ive done a few fun street roll ons and a couple donuts in the SS and the BFGs look like theyd been ran over with a cheese grater when I got home.

BUT 315bfg dr's are WIDER then 315 nitto dr's. just bc they say the same size. does not mean they are the same size.
Yes but what the other guy meant was... get a Nitto 335 if you want a beefy Nitto tire that is equivalent to the BFG 315s. (Im not sure if thats the exact equivalent, jst an example) The Nittos are smaller 315 for 315 vs the BFGs... so size up the Nitto.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

section width 315/35/17

BFG = 12.5

Nitto = 12.1

almost a 1/2" narrower and the BFG will rub the fender well during semi aggressive driving even on a stock height car
Old 10-03-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

**** so it will rub? Damnit! What's the best way to remedy that problem on a stock height camaro? BFH mod? I was hoping to avoid this problem but I guess everything I do turns out to be a bitch. Damnit. I went last night to Pep Boys and bought my lug nuts and locks, the tires should be here by Fed Ex tomorrow. Guess I'll have to do some inner fender massaging.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by '02 SLP#686
I got QA1 coil overs up front and did the spring mod in the back for the 12 bolt. About 1" lower than stock. I ran the 315's out back without any issues.

I have the same setup as you what is this spring mod you talk of? I would like my rear to sit a bit lower.

The BFG's are much wider and a better tire over the Nitto for traction. My car will not hook up with the Nitto's but they are good for what they are. The Nitto DR is much better than any radial and are better in the rain for the first 5000 miles like stated before. I am going with the new Goodyear 315/35/17 when they come out. I have a dealer that is getting me a pair I hope very soon because he said they were going into production with them.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by oange ss
section width 315/35/17

BFG = 12.5

Nitto = 12.1

almost a 1/2" narrower and the BFG will rub the fender well during semi aggressive driving even on a stock height car
yai have the 315's on my car, and i have sportlines. it had to do the bfh mod, so now, theres no rubbing, but the bfg's+sportlines on my car look sick. i've had 315 nitto dr's too, and they just ddidnt look right.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
yai have the 315's on my car, and i have sportlines. it had to do the bfh mod, so now, theres no rubbing, but the bfg's+sportlines on my car look sick. i've had 315 nitto dr's too, and they just ddidnt look right.

I agree your car looks awesome!!! I'm wanting mine to sit like yours, so how much of a clearance issue did you have lowering it with the BFG's? I ain't too concerned about massaging the inner fender as long as it doesn't take knocking it in two or three inches! I have the same wheels and now the same tires, should look good on my sebring silver Z-28. How hard do the sportlines ride though? So Sportline springs, adjustable panhard rod and a little BFH modding and I should be good? Thanks man and damn does your car look sick!!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02 Pewter LS1
I have the same setup as you what is this spring mod you talk of? I would like my rear to sit a bit lower.

The BFG's are much wider and a better tire over the Nitto for traction. My car will not hook up with the Nitto's but they are good for what they are. The Nitto DR is much better than any radial and are better in the rain for the first 5000 miles like stated before. I am going with the new Goodyear 315/35/17 when they come out. I have a dealer that is getting me a pair I hope very soon because he said they were going into production with them.

I think he's talking about removing the rubber spring isolator pad and using a piece of rubber hose. From what I've heard it lowers the rear another 1/2 inch or so. Takes about 20 minutes to do.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
I think he's talking about removing the rubber spring isolator pad and using a piece of rubber hose. From what I've heard it lowers the rear another 1/2 inch or so. Takes about 20 minutes to do.

Ok gotcha thanks I will look into that.
My back of my car sits a bit to high but it does transfer the weight well. I did have to do the BFH mod to the inner fenders with the BFG's but then I just sprayed some undercoating so you can't tell and I also removed the bump stops.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I guess tomorrow after I get the tires mounted I'll have to do some beating and banging on my inner fenders too. Ha ha. I think I've got a can of undercoating left, I'm glad you mentioned that so I can cover up the damage. I can't wait to get these wheels and tires on my car tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oange ss
section width 315/35/17

BFG = 12.5

Nitto = 12.1

Here is the specs on the new Goodyear drag radials they seem to be even wider than the BFG's. Might need to get out the BFH Again.

Tire Diameter (in): 25.50 in.
Minimum Recommended Rim Width (in): 11.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Rim Width (in): 12.00 in.
Tread Width (in): 11.20 in.
Section Width (in): 12.70 in.
Recommended Rim Width: 11-12 in.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn that's a wide tire! Mine are down at the Firestone dealer getting mounted and balanced right now, I can't wait to get these wheels on tonight!!! The price on mounting and balancing these days is unreal, their charging me $15.00 a tire. Maybe it's because of the tire size but hell I got 33" Mud tires mounted for $7.00 a tire a couple years ago. Anyway, what's the tread pattern like on the Goodyears? Price? Sounds like a good buy..
Old 10-04-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They look like a Mickey DR to me. We have the 325/50/15 on our mustang and they work awesome the car dead hooks. The sidewall is real flimsy like a slick the side wrinkles when you launch so I hope they will drive ok on a heavier car like ours.
Here is a picture of them.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

DD? You fucked up. For your own safety and the safety of other drivers on the road with you dont drive in heavy downpours or on very wet streets, and be very careful and go very slow when it starts sprinkling and gets a little wet out. Better off selling them or returning them and getting some Nittos.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be allright, I don't drive the car in wet weather anyway. Just on pretty days, I've got a GTP to drive daily, thanks though. I got the wheels on last night, no fitment issues at all and they look unreal! Thanks for all the help and I'll post some pics as soon as I get around to taking some. Thanks again
Old 10-05-2006, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Nittos. Been running them for a few years. I buy a new set every year between going to the track and street driving. I think they hook pretty well for what they are (see sig) and they last longer than BFG's. BFG's are good too but don't last nearly as long. Both tires suck in the rain. Nitto's are ok but, once about 50% treadlife is hit they are pretty bad in wet conditions.

If it's a D/D Nitto's handsdown.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to buy some Nitto's to have as a spare set but we'll see how these BFG's do for now. I drove around on them last night and they seem to handle extremely well, the only thing I noticed going from a 16" wheel up to a 17" is the ride quality sucks now but hell, a camaro ain't meant to be a cadillac. I was suprised as these wheels didn't jack my car up like a 4 wheel drive, it still needs to be lowered about an inch to look really good but it doesn't sit up too high either.

How much air pressure are ya'll running in the BFG DR's? Mine seem a little tight to me and I don't want to wear out the middle. Like you guys said, these bad boys are wide as hell! I'm still amazed they fit that good without any rubbing. It's been getting looks all morning long, them Torq Thrust II wheels are just plain beautiful.