Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

17 in. ZR-1's on a Z28 Camaro??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MannyZ28 do you have any side pics of your car? It is nice. Is that the original paint? What size wheels do you have? Nice car.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevygirl
MannyZ28 do you have any side pics of your car? It is nice. Is that the original paint? What size wheels do you have? Nice car.
Thanks!!!

Sideview coming up! This is an older picture where the tires had thread on them...lol.... and the car had no cutout, headers, cam..... and a whole bunch of other stuff, but it still sits the same.

Front wheels are 17 x 9.5 with 275/40/17 tires, rear wheels are 17 x 11 with 315/35/17. The overall diameter of both front and rear tires are the same.

As far as the paint goes:
- The roof has been replaced because it had bubbles from the glue lines, 3 years later, the bubbles are back.
- The hood is aftermarket, so it was painted
- Both front fenders were "blended it to match the hood
- Rear bumper was painted when some lady backed in to me
- Rear panel was painted after a garage door incident
- Trunk, excluding the spoiler, was painted when the car was 2 days old (in my possession) when the dealer dropped something on it during detailing for final delivery (I bought the car new late at night)
- Driver side fender has been painted after keyjob at the movie theater
- Driver side door was blended in to match the rear fender

Other than that, the paint is original....lol, which is basically the front, the rear spoiler, the passenger door and passenger rear fender.

Manny
Old 12-06-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't think it would be too much of a difference , ZR1's look good though
Old 12-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Manny, Car looks awsome. Do you know what offset your rear rims are? Thank you.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mx721suzuki
Manny, Car looks awsome. Do you know what offset your rear rims are? Thank you.

Thanks!

50mm
Old 12-07-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MannyZ28 your paint looks great. I had no idea it had all that done to it. I wanted to get a pewter SS hood off another car so it would match the fenders but I doubt I will for awhile. I wanted to buy an SS but couldn't afford it. I am sorry about those bubbles coming back. Why can't they get that problem fixed, I don't get it but I don't get alot of things about GM. I have them too and none of them have broke open so I just decided to let it go after reading about everyone else. I hear they have to use the glue they used prior to 98 for it to not come back. I might be getting a good deal on a set of chrome 16in Z28 wheels so I might skip on the ZR1's for now. I haven't been able to find any that were in good shape.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

heres mine..gunmetal grandsportszr1s 11in out back..click the pic for an enlarged version.
Attached Thumbnails 17 in. ZR-1's on a Z28 Camaro??-good-pic6.jpg   17 in. ZR-1's on a Z28 Camaro??-321.jpg  

Last edited by mattraypharbor; 12-07-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mattraypharbor
heres mine..gunmetal grandsportszr1s 11in out back..click the pic for an enlarged version.
what kinda shocks/springs/phb
Old 12-07-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

MannyZ28 your paint looks great. I had no idea it had all that done to it. I wanted to get a pewter SS hood off another car so it would match the fenders but I doubt I will for awhile. I wanted to buy an SS but couldn't afford it. I am sorry about those bubbles coming back. Why can't they get that problem fixed, I don't get it but I don't get alot of things about GM. I have them too and none of them have broke open so I just decided to let it go after reading about everyone else. I hear they have to use the glue they used prior to 98 for it to not come back. I might be getting a good deal on a set of chrome 16in Z28 wheels so I might skip on the ZR1's for now. I haven't been able to find any that were in good shape.
Yeah...they apparently used the same glue again. I don't know if I want to go on the war path about it or not.... I'll probably just let it be.

I wouldn't waste money on Chrome stock wheels, just save up the money till you can afford what you want, no sense spending money on something you don't really want, but that's just my opinion. I rather do things right and only once.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When putting 17in wheels on do you have to add some kind of spacers? I saw something on the SLP website that they sell for 25.95 that was below the wheels they sell. It said you had to use these when adding 17 in wheels to keep the wheel well lip from touching the tire when the car bounces.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

You do not need a spacer if the wheels are the proper offset.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

When putting 17in wheels on do you have to add some kind of spacers? I saw something on the SLP website that they sell for 25.95 that was below the wheels they sell. It said you had to use these when adding 17 in wheels to keep the wheel well lip from touching the tire when the car bounces.
The spacers they are talking about are called "jounce bumpers".

If you look in that picture, the light gray colored thing between the red mounting tab and the rubber like bumpstopis the spacer they are talking about. On your car, that spacer is missing, and it really isn't necessary to install. All it does is to bring the bumpstop closer to the rear axle. Since the 17" wheels from SLP are 9" wide, vs the 8" for your 16" wheels, they are closer to the inner fender due to the added width. By moving the bumpstop closer to the axle, the bumpstop will engage the axle earlier during severe driving.....like getting the car airborne or a severe dip in the road. This is going to prevent any damage to the inner fender well by the wheel due to bottoming out since now the bumpstop hits the axle earlier and thus won't allow the wider than stock wheel to hit the inner fender well.

I have 11" wheels with even bigger tires, and the tires are of course even closer to the inner fender well. I am taking a risk by completely eliminating the bumpstop and just driving very carefully. With 11" wheels you run into the problem that the wheel is so far inside the fender that it overlaps the area where the bumpstop assembly is located. If a car is lifted with a conventional lift, the wheel will get caught on the bumpstop mounting tab which makes it hard to remove the wheel, and impossible to remount it unless you compress the suspension so that the wheel clears the bumpstop assembly again. Here's how mine looks like now:

Uhm...to make a long story short, they are cheap insurance, but not totally necessary. When I upgraded from 16" wheels to the 10 Spoke SS wheels I used to have before the ZR1's, I went ahead and bought them for the extra insurance.

Manny

Last edited by MannyZ28; 12-07-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lots of great info Manny. Do I understand this that when you hit a dip in the road this thing keeps your tire or wheel from hitting the metal on the car? If I jack up the car on the rear end with 17x9 GM wheels I won't be able to remove the tire off the car because this thing sticks out? Do most people buy aftermarket ZR1s or do most people try to buy the GM 17x9 wheels?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of great info Manny. Do I understand this that when you hit a dip in the road this thing keeps your tire or wheel from hitting the metal on the car? If I jack up the car on the rear end with 17x9 GM wheels I won't be able to remove the tire off the car because this thing sticks out? Do most people buy aftermarket ZR1s or do most people try to buy the GM 17x9 wheels?

Most people buy aftermarket wheels which are usually 17 x 9.5. With the 9.5's you don't have to worry about anything as far as jacking goes, you can install the jounce bumpers for the extra protection...but you really don't need them, unless you give your car flying lessons on a regular basis.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do those spacers come on the SS camaro from the factory? I always thought the SS looked like it sit a little bit lower than the Z28.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do those spacers come on the SS camaro from the factory? I always thought the SS looked like it sit a little bit lower than the Z28.
I believe so, if not, then the bumpstops themselves are longer.

SS's come with different suspensions, mainly springs and shocks, and they are not all created equal, some higher optioned SS's have Bilstein shocks instead of deCarbo shocks that come on a Z28. Not totally sure though on that.

The spacers make no difference in ride height, they just bring the bumpstop closer to the axle so the axle will be stopped earlier to prevent damage. But again, for your axle to hit the bumpstop you need to totally bottom out the suspension, and that you can only do if you carry people in the back seat and drive through one hell of a dip in the road, or get the car airborne.... you don't live in San Francisco, do you? LOL....that's about the only place where you can take your car flying on a regular basis due to all the hills they have there.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You said something about when you jack it up it hits when you try to remove the tire. Does that mean if you have a flat you have a problem if you are on the side of the road?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

You said something about when you jack it up it hits when you try to remove the tire. Does that mean if you have a flat you have a problem if you are on the side of the road?

You will only have that problem if you have 11" wide wheels on the back like I do, it's not even an issue if you stick with 9 or 9.5" wheels with 275/40/17 tires. But...if you did have 11's and you had a flat, you have to jack the car by the rear axle, not the body so that the suspension remains compressed and therefore the wheel won't hang up.

Manny
Old 12-08-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here You Go.....

Old 12-11-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BayAreaSS your car looks great sitting like that. Did you lower it at all? Different springs or shocks? I am trying to envision what mine would look like even though it is a Z28 and not an SS.