Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Traction concerns after modding..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction concerns after modding..

I've been driving my A4 Z51 for the past two years and its currently gettin some goodies added to it.. Car is supposed to be ready sometime in the next 2 to 3 days.. I haven't really gotten a chance to drive a modded vette before nor a car with an aftermarket torque converter.. I used to be able to SOTP with slight wheelspin when my tires were brand new.. I know that won't be an option anymore..

I recently changed my tires to BFG KDW2's, 255/295.. What should my concerns regarding traction be with the follwing mods at various rolling speeds and from a complete stop!? How will my driving have to change..!? Please don't flame me on this but I usually drive like I'm being chased..

Halltech CAI + induction option
G5X3 / 114
SLP U/D Pulley
transgo shift-kit
3500 vigilante converter
LG Pro headers / off-road pipes
borla stinger catback
other required components (valvetrain, trans-cooler, 160 Stat, etc..)

I decided to keep on running the stock 3.15 z51 gears for the time being due to these traction concerns.. Does that make sense..!?

Car sees the street 99% of the time but I will take it to the drag strip a few times a year..
Old 01-07-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tires with oil change
Old 01-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jow02327
tires with oil change
Oil changes are definately a must.. My question was more about the drivability of the car with the tires it currently has.. Tires have less than 2k on them..
Old 01-08-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Question redirected concern??

I'd not be concerned with the tires, but the driveline in between them, and the engine....
Old 01-08-2007, 11:58 AM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Transferred from Advanced section to proper forum.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
I'd not be concerned with the tires, but the driveline in between them, and the engine....
I'm not too worried about the driveline to be honest. I'll be driving around with street tires and my car is an auto. Yes I know I'll be running a high stall converter but the rubber will be taking all the beating for that as opposed to the driveline.. I'm not too concerned about the engine either despite the high lift of the cam. I've taken all precautions when upgrading the valvetrain and I really doubt I'll be spinning the motor higher than 6700.. With regular oil changes the engine should be fine.. LS2s seem to hold up well due to several upgraded components when compare to the LS1.. I would guess it could even handle 150 NOS shot without having to forge the internals but that's only a guess and I'm not willing to become someone’s guinea pig!

If you wanted to redirect my concern you could've said transmission! It'll definitely heat up due to the high stall, especially with my style of driving and the weather here.. I hope the B&M cooler holds up well..!

The only reason I’m stating my concerns related to traction in this thread is because I know what to do about my other concerns…. Or I’ve just decided to accept them! But thanks for your concern anyway..

What tires would you use if you were in my place..!?!? I’m not to keen on changing the rims.. My rear’s are 19’s.. They look bling but with a 19” rim you don’t get much of a sidewall which is essential for maintaining traction on a high HP motor..

How much would a good drag-radial tire/rim kit cost (2 rear tires with rims)? What sizes would you go for if you were in my place!?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

edit- I completely deleted my last post because i missed that your car was a C6.

Tires arent going to get you much better traction unless you go to a smaller size rim and different sidewall which i wouldnt do if i was you unless your going to drag race the car a lot...Actually i wouldnt at all. Youre pretty much looking at suspension upgrades, although with how they mounted the tranny in the rear (well almost) in the c6 your car should hook ok. It helps that its an auto too. Just dont floor it through first and you should be fine.

Its not done yet right? How was the traction stock? I think you should PM pro stock john.. I believe he has a 550hp or so magnacharged c6 m6

Last edited by carado1984; 01-09-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by carado1984
edit- I completely deleted my last post because i missed that your car was a C6.

Tires arent going to get you much better traction unless you go to a smaller size rim and different sidewall which i wouldnt do if i was you unless your going to drag race the car a lot...Actually i wouldnt at all. Youre pretty much looking at suspension upgrades, although with how they mounted the tranny in the rear (well almost) in the c6 your car should hook ok. It helps that its an auto too. Just dont floor it through first and you should be fine.

Its not done yet right? How was the traction stock? I think you should PM pro stock john.. I believe he has a 550hp or so magnacharged c6 m6

The car should be ready today.. I passed by the garage yesterday after work and actually spent some time working on the car with my mechanic on installing the x-pipe.. Only thing left right now is for him to mount and pipe the tranny cooler in front of the radiator. It'll be custom piping with -6 A/N fittings and braided steel hoses but it still shouldn't take too long.. I have already worked on a base-tune which I'll be calibrating onto the PCM once it's ready and fine-tune from there..

When the car was stock traction wasn't much of a problem as long as the tires had good tread on 'em.. Full throttle from a complete stop would result in minimal wheel-spin but the car would still launch immediately assuming that we're talking about a newly paved clean road..

I know I'll be able to drive the car around but will I be able to race on a highway from a complete stop? a 40mph roll..? 60, etc...

What sort of suspension mods would help!? Many friends of mine recommended lowering the car for looks but I stayed away from that cuz it could make hooking up even more of a problem!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Launching!

yea if you lower it it will sacrifice traction a little because the weight will not transfer quite as much as with a softer rear suspension set up. what kind of power band does that cam have? you will have traction issues with any street tire you run, you really need a drag radial or slicks to see any kind of improvement. i have never driven a stalled auto tranny before so i am not sure how they work or exactly what they do but from my experience with manual trans. traction will be an issue from a stop and perhaps a 40 roll, but i would not expect too much from 60 on street tires like KDW for example.

sounds like a nice set up you will be running. enjoy!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97blackz28
yea if you lower it it will sacrifice traction a little because the weight will not transfer quite as much as with a softer rear suspension set up. what kind of power band does that cam have? you will have traction issues with any street tire you run, you really need a drag radial or slicks to see any kind of improvement. i have never driven a stalled auto tranny before so i am not sure how they work or exactly what they do but from my experience with manual trans. traction will be an issue from a stop and perhaps a 40 roll, but i would not expect too much from 60 on street tires like KDW for example.

sounds like a nice set up you will be running. enjoy!
Thanx a lot... I appreciate the support! The converter has a stall of 3500 and the powerband on that CAM starts giving out the greatest HP and TQ gains once the RPM is around 3k.. You can find many dynosheets on LGM's website for combo's using that CAM..

.. I have a strong feeling that launching this thing from a complete stop on street tires will be a tough challenge! C'mon, I'm sure someone here has a G5X3 on an stalled A4 and could chime in here and give out some thoughts..

Quick Reply: Traction concerns after modding..