Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel Chroming

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Chroming

I've got a set of polished aluminum wheels that look great when polished and are a pain in the neck to keep clean (especially since the car sits outdoors year-round) If I had these wheels chromed they would look awesome. The question becomes, "Is it worth the $200/wheel to have this done?" How durable is this plating? Is there anyway for the plater to chrome the wheel face and not the other stuff to save some cash? I know the whole wheel is submerged and electroplated but I'm not sure if they have to plate all of the surface area (like some sort of non-stick coating that they put on the parts of the wheel which don't need chromed. Thanks
Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Launching!

I looked into this same thing over the Summer. I was going to have my stock '02 WS6 polished rims chrome plated. I got three quotes and the best was $250 per wheel plus shipping. I personally didnt think paying over a grand was worth it especially since you can get some awesome aftermarket chrome rims for alot less. I searched on here quite extensively looking at pics and looking at other cars in person then narowed it down and finally bought my ZR1's and they look great and I am very happy with them. I boxed up the stock ones and they are sitting in the basement in case I decide to go back to stock some day. It's your decison but IMO it isnt worth the grand to get them chromed.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on how much you like the rims, IMO if they are the wheels you are going to be happy with for awhile then it would be worth it. Also I think it would be hard to get a real nice set of chrome wheels for around $200-$300 a piece.

Dan
Old 01-23-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 501 Likes on 361 Posts

Look for a nice set on ebay. Recently a guy with a 'show-quality' set of four 16" chrome rims from a '99 T/A had them listed for a "BUY IT NOW" of $500. Be patient as some will have curb rash or dings but I bet within 2 months you will land yourself a nice set of chrome rims with no issues.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Launching!

I guess if you liked the wheels enough. Why don't you use Zoopseal, it lasts for a couple years and is just like a clear coat.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was gonna get my firehawk wheels rechromed this summer because they are peeling. However, when i found out what the price was i kinda changed my mind but there was still a possibility. But then i found out that most chromers charge more for wheels that are already chromed cuz they have to peel that entirely off before they can begin rechroming. Out with the firehawk wheels.....in with the black ttm's
Old 01-24-2007, 05:50 AM
TECH Regular

You folks are right. At a $1000 for the set its not a "great deal" by any stretch. There has been some talk of aftermarket prices so does anybody know how much a $1000 chrome job would depreciate an a popular wheel set like a staggered(17x9.5,17x11) TT2 (Torque Thrust II) for f-bodies? I figure it would be right around $1,800-$1,900 out of pocket for the wheels and plating. What would these be worth at resale? Even consideriang how rare a fully plated TT2 is?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squealingtires
You folks are right. At a $1000 for the set its not a "great deal" by any stretch. There has been some talk of aftermarket prices so does anybody know how much a $1000 chrome job would depreciate an a popular wheel set like a staggered(17x9.5,17x11) TT2 (Torque Thrust II) for f-bodies? I figure it would be right around $1,800-$1,900 out of pocket for the wheels and plating. What would these be worth at resale? Even consideriang how rare a fully plated TT2 is?

^you prolly coulnt get much out of them now because you can pick up a set of fully chromed TTM's for about 900
Old 01-24-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hawk108
^you prolly coulnt get much out of them now because you can pick up a set of fully chromed TTM's for about 900
I think only the center face is chromed. I could be wrong though. $900/set is too cheap for any fully chromed alloy wheel. I know steel chromies are cheap like Rockcrawler's for trucks

**EDIT**Nope I was wrong. Fully chromed face and lip. There is just something I like more about the TT2's as opposed to the TTM's

Last edited by squealingtires; 01-24-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel Chroming