Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Riken Raptor ZR's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I am mostly interested in them for a better 60ft, but still a nice daily driver tire that'll wear to at least 10+15k miles and less than $100 per tire.

I am running balding Kumho AST's and they blow, maybe 2.2 60ft...
Old 06-20-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
Anyone run them in 245/50/16's? Opinions?

Thanks!!
I run that size on my Z28. I was able to pull a high 1.9 60 foot at Sac Raceway (known for crappy traction). Of course this doesn't mean YOU will receive the same results, but they work for me. I believe i paid less than $90 for mine and i'm very pleased with them. Cornering they are okay... nothing special, but for straight line they hook decent for me. A high 1.9 60 foot and a 12.89 1/4 mile time in my 2000 Z28 M6 with just a lid and catback was enough convincing for me.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
I run that size on my Z28. I was able to pull a high 1.9 60 foot at Sac Raceway (known for crappy traction). Of course this doesn't mean YOU will receive the same results, but they work for me. I believe i paid less than $90 for mine and i'm very pleased with them. Cornering they are okay... nothing special, but for straight line they hook decent for me. A high 1.9 60 foot and a 12.89 1/4 mile time in my 2000 Z28 M6 with just a lid and catback was enough convincing for me.
Wow, that's impressive! What was the DA? For the cost I'm definitely going to look into these. I might end up ordering new tires sooner than I expected.

One quick question for everyone: how is the wet road traction with them?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its pretty sad when my car with a stall, on 315 555Rs, ran a 12.87 with a 1.8 60' and you're on street tires.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
Wow, that's impressive! What was the DA? For the cost I'm definitely going to look into these. I might end up ordering new tires sooner than I expected.

One quick question for everyone: how is the wet road traction with them?
I don't know what the DA was. But Sacramento Raceway is known for being a "fast track". Some people even set records at Sac Raceway. A friend of mine has the highest trapping stock turbo STi record, and pulled his record trap at Sac Raceway. I know I have my slips around here somewhere, but if i remember right I think my best 60 foot for the day was 1.97 or something like that. I ran them a little low on pressure, i believe in the high 20's. This was all back in February of this year so it's all a little vague to me now.

Wet traction is decent. I always drive extremely slow in the rain so maybe i'm not a good candidate for this type of question, but lets say 70 on the highway is no problem in the wet. Of course if you squeeze a little too hard on the right pedal during a turn the butt WILL step out but as long as your driving within reason I don't see any dangers with them.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01SOMZ28
Its pretty sad when my car with a stall, on 315 555Rs, ran a 12.87 with a 1.8 60' and you're on street tires.
Ah I wouldn't worry about it brother. The place where I ran my car is known for relatively fast time slips and of course there is a little bit of luck involved. Sometimes you hook, other times you don't. The day i ran my car i just happened to be able to hook up and hit all my shifts. Who knows I may go back to the track and be slower (even with full bolt ons).

Have you ever tried to swap out your nittos for something else? I know a few people that have trouble getting 555rs to hook at the track, but for some reason can get them to hook on the street just fine.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wet traction is decent. I always drive extremely slow in the rain so maybe i'm not a good candidate for this type of question, but lets say 70 on the highway is no problem in the wet. Of course if you squeeze a little too hard on the right pedal during a turn the butt WILL step out but as long as your driving within reason I don't see any dangers with them.
Thanks! I don't beat on it during rain storms, but if 70mph on the highway in wet conditions is no problem then they'll work for me.

Quick Reply: Riken Raptor ZR's?