Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Jegs Prostar Skinnies Wheels & Summit Rears ( IMHO )

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippy SS
I am not arrogant, I am educated. Get an engineering degree like Steve at SJM or myself and then you can enter the discussion with some qualified answers. Or just go to a dragstrip and see what people are running. Chances are the degreed idiots like myself and the Joe six packs at the track will agree... cast wheels are an epic failure for racing... PERIOD.

Find an intelligent way to disprove that argument. Besides cost, you cannot do it.

Furthermore, I am defending manufacturing in America. How can you argue with that? Have you ever had your job outsourced? Or lost a job because you were getting beat by an off-shore imitation? That is how employees of Weld and Centerline feel when these wheels gain popularity.

How about American Racing? They used to make all of their wheels domestically. Now only a handful are made here due to the low-cost competition driving them off-shore to remain viable.

I am here to educate those who may not know about materials, manufacturing processes, and other basic engineering principles. If you judge your parts simply off cost, then yes, there are some great wheels out there.

When you dive in and see why a Jegs wheel for instance is only $89, you see that the materials, the quality control, and the overall structure of the wheel is not in the same ballpark as the Weld or Centerline it mimics.
I don't need further education. I don't understand where your post is coming from, thats all. "When was the last time a professional race was won on your wheels" wtf is that? If you'd like, I can walk out to the shop and throw my Greg Welds on our 57 Top Sportsman Belair, and go out and win some more races? Every post you have made in this thread is just as I said, arrogant. I may be 19, but working for the Speed Shop/Chassis shop that I work for, I think Im a little more educated than you think I am. Im in no way defending Jegs fronts, or Summit fronts, but I think the aluminum Greg Welds are a pretty nice wheel, and deserve a bit more credit. I think my greg welds will do fine for what Im doing. Someday when I go faster than 10s, maybe I can step to Alumastars or Magnums..

Last edited by Camaro396; 10-13-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok I am just going to throw out my little spin on this entire thing.

If your looking to have a drag wheel track combo I would go with a true race wheel. that includes if you are going with any type of skinny on the front. I know it would be nice to be able to run them on the street but they suck for stopping and your cornering will be sketchy at best compared to a street tire set up. If you are looking to cut some weight that's ok but to go looking for a skinny that will hold up to street use is like a huge spoiler on a civic there is just no reason for it.

now if you are doing it for looks go with some thing like the 15x8 or 10's on the back and some thing at least 6 inches wide on the front so that you can put at least a 195 wide tire on it with the correct height so not to freek out the abs and such. the best street size that I can think of is a 205/65R15 that is the thinnest I have found that are not so light that they would be safe on the street.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting
Old 10-13-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippy SS
I am not arrogant, I am educated. Get an engineering degree like Steve at SJM or myself and then you can enter the discussion with some qualified answers. Or just go to a dragstrip and see what people are running. Chances are the degreed idiots like myself and the Joe six packs at the track will agree... cast wheels are an epic failure for racing... PERIOD.
degree'd idiots usually have more money.

How about American Racing? They used to make all of their wheels domestically. Now only a handful are made here due to the low-cost competition driving them off-shore to remain viable.
its not like they are hand made. **** most of the parts on a new chevrolet are made in taiwan
I am here to educate those who may not know about materials, manufacturing processes, and other basic engineering principles. If you judge your parts simply off cost, then yes, there are some great wheels out there.

When you dive in and see why a Jegs wheel for instance is only $89, you see that the materials, the quality control, and the overall structure of the wheel is not in the same ballpark as the Weld or Centerline it mimics.

i hear alot of talk from you but have you ever actually ordered a set of jegs or summit wheels? have you ever taken pictures of these horrendous failures? they are cheap what do you expect for $89. the skinnies may weigh the same but they have less rotating mass

for $1600 for a set of wheels, well most of us cant afford that. just like most of us cant afford having an fbody for anything more than a daily driver. i think if sjm made a comprable style wheel that fir "well" they would sell alot better, but again they are not in business to make a "cheap" wheel, their business is about quality and not price.

i havent changed my driving style since switching to skinnies, in fact out here in lubbock the roads are absolutely terrible and i have hit more pot holes than i could ever count without ever bending a rim or having a blow out. its pretty dry in texas for the most part so i havent had any problems, on the off chance it does rain however skinny tires cant go more than 50mph without some hydroplaning.

the OP said he had 16' prostars, id like to see some pics of that

Last edited by chrysler kid; 10-14-2008 at 12:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Jegs Prostar Skinnies Wheels & Summit Rears ( IMHO )