Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

need a tire for drag racing only

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
Go with a 26" MT or Hoosier slick and a equivalant front runner(skinny). rears are ~$150-$160 and the fronts should be cheaper. Summitt and Jegs have anything you can possibly think of for this purpose.
Yup, 26's with your setup would be perfect.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stangkilr
Yup, 26's with your setup would be perfect.
I just wanna know why M/Ts are being preferred over slicks by most people.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
I just wanna know why M/Ts are being preferred over slicks by most people.
They don't know what they're talking about. A slick will outperform any drag radial on the track.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
They don't know what they're talking about. A slick will outperform any drag radial on the track.
serious? what kind of track times do you have?
Old 06-02-2007, 12:01 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

serious? what kind of track times do you have?
My track times don't matter. Call mickey thompson and ask them what will perform better on a drag strip, a radial tire or a bias ply slick. I guarantee you they will answer that their ET drag will out perform their ET street radial.

Customer Service & Tech
Phone (330) 928 - 9092 Ext. 2

these tires will be for my drag racing tires only!

I need a tire that will be strictly for drag racing.

They will be a separate set or rims and separate tires that will be used at the dragstrip only.
HINT HINT: Try the drag racing tech section.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech-34/
Old 06-02-2007, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
My track times don't matter. Call mickey thompson and ask them what will perform better on a drag strip, a radial tire or a bias ply slick. I guarantee you they will answer that their ET drag will out perform their ET street radial.

Customer Service & Tech
Phone (330) 928 - 9092 Ext. 2

HINT HINT: Try the drag racing tech section.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34
yes. But I was referring to slicks vs ET streets

not slicks vs ET street radials..

Bias ply slick vs bias ply St street?

Im thinkin slick.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can help you with your wheels.

My suggestion is if you are not certain what to choose, the best option is to purchase different tires each time you need new ones...this way you can calculate through trial and error which setup you prefer. Different tracks, different users...too many variable to state one tire is better then another. You already have an opinion of one style tire...there are only a few left.

Regarding wear, none will last long. Look at it this way, you're probably spending more on gas...tires are consumables as well. If you choose tires that last long, they probably won't have the traction.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:00 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

yes. But I was referring to slicks vs ET streets

not slicks vs ET street radials..

Bias ply slick vs bias ply St street?

Im thinkin slick.
Ahh, understood. The ET Drag is the hands down best tire Mickey Thompson makes. Just think of it this way. Et streets are street legal, that meens they have to conform to department of transportation specifications. That limits what compounds they are made of, tread wear, and tread pattern. ET drags on the other hand are not. They are meant for the strip only and not limited. They are built for maximum performance. The best thing you could do is call someone at Mickey Thompson or Steve at SJM to help you out.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:07 AM
11 Second Club

Okay, so tell me this.

Will the stickier the tire get, the less it will last? or do they make slicks that can last longer? why not? they can add more layers of slick to last longer? no?

Also All Im saying is my M/Ts were at the limit after 23 passes. which had decent burnouts, but nothing too excessive. So I just want a tire that can perform as good, hopefully better, but last longer.

this doesnt exist?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:36 PM
FormerVendor

I don't think you'll find a tire that will fit your requirements (if longevity is your main objective).

Try different tires, they really aren't too expensive.

For the record, just because a tire is DOT approved, does not mean it is ok to use on the street for normal street use. This goes for any drag wheel which states this also. They (all drag wheels and ET streets included) are not for highway use.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did 23 passes in one day no wonder your tires died. They will store up heat and after the first pass all you need to do is clean them off. If you did a burnout each time, you were just slinging rubber.
Just my opinion.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I don't think you'll find a tire that will fit your requirements (if longevity is your main objective).

Try different tires, they really aren't too expensive.

For the record, just because a tire is DOT approved, does not mean it is ok to use on the street for normal street use. This goes for any drag wheel which states this also. They (all drag wheels and ET streets included) are not for highway use.
Okay so are 15" american eagle rims and 26" Hoosier slicks good for a M6 with aluminum flywhel to drag race? also how wide should the slicks be? I also have 3.73s 12 bolt moser and all boltons ( no head n cam yet, but in near future) 2002 Z28

edit: spelling
Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

If you did 23 passes in one day no wonder your tires died. They will store up heat and after the first pass all you need to do is clean them off. If you did a burnout each time, you were just slinging rubber.
Just my opinion.
Okay I didnt know that. Thanks for telling me now.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:58 AM
11 Second Club

I've got maybe 25ish passes on my 26' ET Streets. They look like they still got a long way to go on them.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay so are 15" american eagle rims and 26" Hoosier slicks good for a M6 with aluminum flywhel to drag race? also how wide should the slicks be? I also have 3.73s 12 bolt moser and all boltons ( no head n cam yet, but in near future) 2002 Z28

edit: spelling
If you have the $$$. the best thing to do would be to call Steve at SJM and get a set of Bogarts. Then get the 26x11.5 MT drags and whatever front runner they (MT) make. You will drop a huge amount of unsprung weight and your times will improve. If you don't have the $$ for the Bogarts, the next choice would be Weld Prostars/Draglites. You will have to do some grinding, but that is the facts.

As far as slicks that last longer, it would defeat the purpose of racing tires. If you go with a harder compound, traction will suffer. If you wanted "more" rubber, the weight would go up and that would hurt times. Slicks, drag radials, ET streets are not made to last a long time, they are made to stick.In order to stick they must have a soft compound, by default that increases treadwear.

Have to pay to play!! Good luck!!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:55 AM
11 Second Club

If you have the $$$. the best thing to do would be to call Steve at SJM and get a set of Bogarts. Then get the 26x11.5 MT drags and whatever front runner they (MT) make. You will drop a huge amount of unsprung weight and your times will improve. If you don't have the $$ for the Bogarts, the next choice would be Weld Prostars/Draglites. You will have to do some grinding, but that is the facts.

As far as slicks that last longer, it would defeat the purpose of racing tires. If you go with a harder compound, traction will suffer. If you wanted "more" rubber, the weight would go up and that would hurt times. Slicks, drag radials, ET streets are not made to last a long time, they are made to stick.In order to stick they must have a soft compound, by default that increases treadwear.

Have to pay to play!! Good luck!!
Okay, thanks. and Im sure what you are saying is right.

Im just wondering how 23 passes killed a harder compound tire, than my friend with well over 70+ passes.

equal burnouts.

Just wondering..

Now, that beside the point, how many passes do slicks last you guys?
Old 06-10-2007, 01:58 AM
11 Second Club

Im buying rims from my friend, because he owns a tire shop and can get me a good deal. are bogarts my only choice for quality?

also my friends slicks (eagle alloy, american eagle, or some brand like that) were aluminum and pretty light and he had hoosier slicks.

for 15" rims, how wide should I get and Ill be going with a 26" tire.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

..and??
Old 06-11-2007, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

I'm unfamiliar with the weights of the wheels you're insterested in...we are not the only manufacture that makes high-end quality wheels. Welds high-end wheels are also very nice. Most of the other companies do not build wheels to fit the application though...so you're going to get a wheel that may be considered 'one size fits most' where "most" don't actually fit.

Ours are VERY light. A typical 15x10 LS1 Bogart rear wheel for example will be ~10-11lbs. A weld similar sized wheel will end up being 15-16lbs especially if you are adding spacers...

I believe most of the wheels your talking about are actually pretty heavy. I wouldn't be surprized if they are close to the stock weight...I don't know for certain as there are so many different brands within those wheels. If you're unsure, as long as your friend takes them back if you don't like them, then no harm no foul...especially if he's getting you a good deal on them.

You can do a search...there's quite a bit of discussion on different setups.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I'm unfamiliar with the weights of the wheels you're insterested in...we are not the only manufacture that makes high-end quality wheels. Welds high-end wheels are also very nice. Most of the other companies do not build wheels to fit the application though...so you're going to get a wheel that may be considered 'one size fits most' where "most" don't actually fit.

Ours are VERY light. A typical 15x10 LS1 Bogart rear wheel for example will be ~10-11lbs. A weld similar sized wheel will end up being 15-16lbs especially if you are adding spacers...

I believe most of the wheels your talking about are actually pretty heavy. I wouldn't be surprized if they are close to the stock weight...I don't know for certain as there are so many different brands within those wheels. If you're unsure, as long as your friend takes them back if you don't like them, then no harm no foul...especially if he's getting you a good deal on them.

You can do a search...there's quite a bit of discussion on different setups.

Good luck.
Id like to save weight as much as possible. thats why I kept my Z28 snowflake rims...

how much are rear bogarts for a F body. and should I run LS1 15" X 10 and 26" slick? would that be good for low 300 WHP? and how about low 400 WHP both with 3.73s

Thanks, I just wanna know more info.

I wanna get a good 60' way better than 1.78, which was my best with M/Ts