Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Powder coating/Painting a chrome rim

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powder coating/Painting a chrome rim

I have a set of Chrome Z06 wheels on my car. On the front I have the 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 on the rear.

I've been wanting some black rims (for my white car) and have contemplated chroming the spoke part of the rim and leaving the wider lip chrome. The reason I dont buy the black rim with the polished lip is because the lip seems almost too small. I also thought about buying silver z06's and having a shop powder coat the spokes black, this way I don't mess with a chrome rim. Seems like a waste of a chrome rim if they mess up

I called a shop and they said they don't powdercoat/paint Chrome. Now Im curious if anyone has actually done this, I see a lot of polished lip, but rarely chrome. Is it even worth powder coating a chrome rim? I think it'd look pretty nice, but I dont wanna ruin a chrome rim

Thanks
Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrome has to be chemically taken off if you want to do it right and make sure the paint surface is prepped properly. Not sure about powdercoating though.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called one place who said they could do it, but it would take a lot of prepping. They said they would have to ad some sort of adhesive so the powder coating can stay on.