Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

fixing curb rash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fixing curb rash?

i just got my 2 front rims in the mail and the one is curb rashed to hell, im not talking just a bump into curb it looks like the person parked to damn close to a wall and just drove (with no tires on) the whole way around, is there a way to get that fixed? and if so whats the pricing on that
Old 06-29-2007, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

what rims ?
chrome , polished or painted aluminum ?

If painted aluminum I'd set them up on a lathe or just use the axle to spin them, file and sand them smooth (block of wood and sandpaper) and strip the rest of the clearcoat (if cleared) and polish the entire rim....

Is it worse than just cosmetic ?? If the rim is bent I'd get rid of it...
Old 06-29-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

it's painted aluminum i believe (grey z06 OEMs) rims not bent, it's just ate away.. im going to go grab the rim and take a picture
Old 06-29-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

i doubt you could do anything worthwhile yourself. maybe, MAYBE if it is very, very light rash, you could sand it down to something decent. but come on....what kind of lathe do you have laying around that you can set an entire rim on? find your nearest rim repair shop, have them do it. i bought a set of used ZR1s, with the usual rash on the right sides. more like huge CHUNKS taken out then rash, but damage none the less. cost about $130 each. if theyre painted, theyll have to refinish the entire rim. if its polished, they may be able to just do an area.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Any half way decent local machine shop has a lathe that can handle a 17" diameter rim - they can clamp it between two cones as they don't have to cut any material and only have to polish the high spots ... you'll have to remove the tire of course....

The Z06 design is a bit%h to polish all the way, repro rims are like $195 a piece.... a shop is likely going to charge $200 or so to fix what you got... not sure what I'd do but I think I'd buy two new rims and sell the scratched rims on E-stink....

OR... por guys solution: use the rear axle as the drive ... set rear on jackstands, remove tires and valve... mount rims, polish the dish while spinning in 1st gear... be careful not to get your fingers between the spokes..... this is dangerous....

here's a pic of one of my Borbet "T" rims that I stripped and hand polished myself:

Last edited by plopp; 06-29-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Shot with Canon PowerShot A630 at 2007-06-29

also there is fn bend in it, its on the inside of the rim though, think this will be a problem?

Old 06-29-2007, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

yes, the bend is a problem... sorry, but I would not use this on my front axle.... might be getting away with it on the rear but I wouldn't feel comfortable .... life's too short.....
Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

what could happen with that bend? i just sold my rims and these are all i got? i dont have any money for new ones
Old 06-29-2007, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Aluminum is pretty soft but it still can crack..... even if it's not cracked, how much weight (balance weight) do you want on the front axle ???

There are companies that straighten rims but with shipping it's probably as expensive to just buy a new rim...

well... if you never exceed 50mph you're safe I guess..... ... seriously, I don't mean to sound funny here but you can damage a whole lot of stuff if a rim or tire goes....
Old 06-29-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

well i plan on going alot faster then that, and like i said, im broke and about to go to north carolina in 20 days for a week....i need a rim, and i have no cash
Old 06-29-2007, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
well i plan on going alot faster then that, and like i said, im broke and about to go to north carolina in 20 days for a week....i need a rim, and i have no cash

OK... this is not a simple curb rash. Have a look at the pic below, it looks like the entire rim is bent, not only the outer edge... correct me if I'm wrong...

Go to a tire shop and have it balanced... let's see what they say with the tire mounted... I think it's a waste of money but ok....

If you don't have the money for another (used) rim then don't take a chance drivin with the damaged rim.... you might need a lot more money to fix the damage this junk wheel caused.... what about your wheel bearing ? That's not too cheap either .... just something else to think about ...

you just got these rims in the mail ?? I'd tell the seller to expect a credit card dispute or attorney's fees after you seeking legal advice if he doesn't want to make this right....
Old 06-29-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

well thats what i plan on doing, he has another rim and im going to demand it and if i dont get it then ill do one of the two.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

ummm can anyone else chime in? i dont want to get everything from just one person (no offence because you're 100% right) i just want to have a little back up on my side
Old 06-29-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

anyone at all??? hello???
Old 06-30-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

sorry man a bend like that is a big problem. either pay to get it fixed, or dispute it with the seller immediately
Old 06-30-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

that could be fixed. look around for your nearest rim repair shop. ive seen much, much worse bends. mine werent bent, but had chunks taken out of the rim lip, some chunks misisng, some bent over. the other guy must have railed the curb. also, thats the inner lip thats bent....dont know how that could happen. that not just from hitting the curb. unless the outer lip is bent the same way. did he tell you it was bent, or just had rash? id either want the other rim, or have him pay for a repair if he never told you about this.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

he said nothing about rim being bent only mentioned (minor curb rash) whenever he comes online we are working something out...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

how about if i accept 150$???? is that good
Old 06-30-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

you mean 150 off the price....thatd be alright, because itll cost you that much to get it fixed. provided its fixable, which im fairly sure it is. ask him how 'minor curb rash' gets on the INSIDE of the rim too.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

I'm with most everone else, I would be afraid to drive on a rim that was bent. Not only the balance issue, but I would think that it would be very easy to break the tire's bead and have a high speed/load blowout. I would try to talk to the seller and get that other wheel. Just my .02