Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks
View Poll Results: Which tire should I use?
BFGoodrich KDW
82.14%
Toyo Proxes 4
17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

BFG KDW vs. Toyo Proxes 4

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007 | 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like most people on this thread I've only owned one set, KDW's. I was able to cut a 2.1 at the track on an all stock setup, besides being lowered 2 inches. I did have trouble with spinning off the line, spun in 2nd, and turned them over in 3rd. I haven't been back since the mods in sig.

I imagine I should be able to get at least a 1.9. Around town, the tires hook up pretty good. I can now slip the clutch a little around 3 grand and only get a couple of chirps, shift hard into 2nd and turn them over for about 1 second.I'm not sure of your budget but if you want to get some traction suspension mods are a must.

Also I have had my KDW's for over 20,000 miles, majority of those miles are highway miles, but I did make 4 passes down the track with them, and they still have plenty of tread to pass inspection.
Old 07-11-2007 | 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

If it means anything at all to you (it shouldn't, unless you plan on doing top speed runs for extended periods of time), the Toyos are only V rated (up to 149 mph), whereas the BFGs are Y rated (up to 186 mph). But as many have said you are comparing a high performance all season tire to a max performance summer tire.
Old 07-12-2007 | 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I ended up putting the Proxes 4's on. So far so good, although I'm getting a little vibration out of the steering wheel. Also, the car seems to be shaking at certain speeds. The passenger seat is constantly shaking, making the seatbelt click which is driving me nuts. Does this just mean the tires need to be balanced? They should have been balanced already, as I payed for it when getting them mounted.

I'm going to hit up the track soon to see how they hook, but they definitely ride nice on the streets.

Last edited by Amoretti; 07-12-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2007 | 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Amoretti
I ended up putting the Proxes 4's on. So far so good, although I'm getting a little vibration out of the steering wheel. Also, the car seems to be shaking at certain speeds. The passenger seat is constantly shaking, making the seatbelt click which is driving me nuts. Does this just mean the tires need to be balanced? They should have been balanced already, as I payed for it when getting them mounted.
If the installer has the machine, you should consider "road force" balancing. I know many on here consider this a gimmick or "snake oil", but in some cases it was the ONLY thing that got rid of certain wheel/tire vibrations I've had. Just make sure they do it at or near the tire (air) pressures you plan on running.
Old 07-13-2007 | 10:38 AM

bfg kdw !! I love the ride and feel of mine =)
Old 07-13-2007 | 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

I really like my KDW2's. They look slick, excellent dry traction, superior grip in the rain. Only grip i have is they tend to have alittle road noise.
Old 07-14-2007 | 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SlowLS1
I really like my KDW2's. They look slick, excellent dry traction, superior grip in the rain. Only grip i have is they tend to have alittle road noise.
These ARE great tires, but they don't make then in ANY of our OEM sizes.
Not everyone wants to, or can go to 18s.
Old 01-18-2008 | 01:17 AM

Its hard to beat the look of the proxes 4. I have had them on my car for over a year and they still look good. They seem to hook good but I have not taken them to a track.

Quick Reply: BFG KDW vs. Toyo Proxes 4