Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

discount tire question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default discount tire question

Can i print out a price for tires from tirerack.com and take it into a discount tire store and get them to match that price?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Depends what store it is. If its town fair tire, the ones in my area DO match any online price except ebay
Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

The discount tire here close to me says they match prices, but last time i called them they wouldn't match tire rack's price.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

They should price match. The store where I live usually beats any price out there.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discount will get you one way or another even if they price match. They have turned into the used car lot of the retail tire industry. I was in a pinch and picked up a 13" bias ply trailer that Discount quoted me $55 over the phone. With tax, disposal, balance, new valve stem and who knows what else it was close to $80. When my regular tire shop quotes me $55 over the phone, guess what I pay? $55, mounted balanced, new valve stem and all!!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

i brought in an online quote for $158 each on bfg kdw's. they all tried laying down some crap about added fees, i was needing tires bad so ended up getting like $10 off. they will basically try to get you anyway they can.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Yep. Discount Tire will price match anything.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just order off tirerack.

**** discount tire.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
Just order off tirerack.

**** discount tire.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

i order the tires for the Z (kumho 711's) and tires for my truck (continentals) through tire rack, i got my tires within 3 days, great price, great shipping, i highly recommend
Old 08-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
Just order off tirerack.

**** discount tire.
Then pay more to have them mounted, balanced, and installed?

If he orders through DT they will do all of the above. Cheaper.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99PewterT/A
Then pay more to have them mounted, balanced, and installed?

If he orders through DT they will do all of the above. Cheaper.
Mounting and balancing is like $40 tops.

The prices on tirerack are much cheaper and it still comes out to be cheaper than going through Discount Tire.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

i THINK DT charges like 19 to mount a tire. Another reason im getting from DT is for the certificates. And want a place i can take my car to to get it fixed/replaced. I know they add like 12 for the valve stems at like 3 each. and then the taxand the price for certificates. It wont be much cheaper but it will be a little cheaper and every bit helps. I will probably take a print out from tirerack.com and discountiredirect.com they would at least have to honor the discountiredirect price i would think.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jason1384
i THINK DT charges like 19 to mount a tire. Another reason im getting from DT is for the certificates. And want a place i can take my car to to get it fixed/replaced. I know they add like 12 for the valve stems at like 3 each. and then the taxand the price for certificates. It wont be much cheaper but it will be a little cheaper and every bit helps. I will probably take a print out from tirerack.com and discountiredirect.com they would at least have to honor the discountiredirect price i would think.
theyll make up some crap and youll end up paying what their regular price is.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Discount Tire was going to charge me over $100.00 dollars to mount and balance my 17" tires until I told them I purchased the tires from Discount Tire Direct. Ended up costing me $80.00 after I showed him recept from DiscountTireDirect.

I paid zero taxes and shipping was free by ordering directly from Discount Tire Direct. If they buy from Discount Tire locally you will have to pay state taxes (most states anyway).
Old 08-02-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

theyll make up some crap and youll end up paying what their regular price is.
Yep, When you walk into a discount tire don't bend over or you will have that big ole Michelin man sneaking up behind you! Run!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

man the discount tires you go to suck. i work for discount tire here in college station. and all this **** im hearing is crazy, lol. we arent that bad. maybe thats why we are the number 1 store in texas. good luck on your next visit guys

oh yeah and we do price match. sometime we'll lose money just to make you happy
Old 08-02-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless you are in a pinch this is what you should do.

Order tires from discounttiredirect.com. They price match and have free shipping. I suggest you order from them online because if you compare their instore prices to their online prices, online is usually cheaper by $10/tire. You don't have to pay taxes unless you are getting them from a warehouse in your state and it usually takes only a couple of days to get tires.

Take them to your local DTD/America's Tire and show them your receipt. They should only charge you $11/tire to mount and balance. If you bought the certificates for the free tire replacement it should be like $25/tire, but if you bought $300/each GSD3s I would highly recommend going this route.

Most shops are going to charge you taxes, disposal, and valve stems anyway. In my personal experience everything has been great. I ordered through Luke when he was on here before and even got a 5% discount. Tire Rack has some good deals once in a while but they don't offer the option for free tire replacement on all tires, don't have free shipping, and in my experience their customer service sucks.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 535 Likes on 384 Posts

Default Discount Tire was excellent!

I had an excellent on-line experience with DT when I ordered 4 wheels and tires from them for another car I own. Free shipping and they even sent me a new center cap at no charge when the one they sent was vibrating a bit. No questions or delays and very professional. I would recommend their on-line site very highly.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

man the discount tires you go to suck. i work for discount tire here in college station. and all this **** im hearing is crazy, lol. we arent that bad. maybe thats why we are the number 1 store in texas. good luck on your next visit guys
Here's the problem,
20 years ago every discount tire I went into was great. Best pricing, no upsells, short lines.

Now it's just the opposite. Feel like I'm paying the highest price, always an upsell and a waiting line.

For such a shift to occur from great to terrible must have something to do with Discounts business model. SSilverSSurfer, you can tell from all the stories that this is a real and not made up problem at many DT stores. I know you can only do so much at an individual store to make customers happy. What about DT corporate flow down can lead to so many people to be unhappy with their DT experience?

Here's the right way to conduct business, not sure DT will be like this again but it would be great:
My preferred tire shop is less than discount(They have a lower price installed, balanced and new stems than discounts tire alone price), never upsells, out the door in 15 minutes. It's a father and son shop, but everyone (and I mean everyone) I send there is incredibly surprised with the experience. Additionally, when I bring them my drag slicks they mount and balance them for free. Is that great or what .

Sorry about the hijack.