Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Mich. Vs BFG......

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mich. Vs BFG......

im a manager at a tire kingdom right now and i get a pretty good deal....

i need some input mich. pilot sports....and bfg kdw....275, 40, 17

i dont have either at the store so i cant just check them out.

i can get the mich. for about $450 for two tires....these are the expensive ones, not the cheap michs

or i can get the bfg's for $350 for both....

both mounted and balance and aligned....

these are both good street tires but i want more info....

i plan on putting some some goodyear D/Rs on my stock old 16 rims...to take to the track
Old 08-15-2007, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear the michelins are very good. But BFG's are pretty good too. If I remember correctly the BFG'd look better. And make sure they are flat sided kind. Dont know how to really explain it. My goodyears have a ring of lines all around teh sidewall. Makes them look not as good after a tire shine coating.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

Well I have Mich. PS2 295/35-18. They work pretty good. Awesome rain tires. I like them. A buddy of mine swears buy the BFG. Thinking of trying them myself. I think the Mich. are better road course tires than street. My .02
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

the PS2 is a much better tire than the BFG KDW....

however the KD's are a comparable tire to the PS2's. I would give the edge to the KD in terms of performance, but if you need to drive in the rain the PS2 is the better choice. I have owned/curently own both the KD and PS2.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea this is exactly what im getting from some of my mechanics who have fbodies...i might have to get them to bring there cars in....any body have any pics? thanks for the info
Old 08-17-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JR HAWK 9
the PS2 is a much better tire than the BFG KDW....

however the KD's are a comparable tire to the PS2's. I would give the edge to the KD in terms of performance, but if you need to drive in the rain the PS2 is the better choice. I have owned/curently own both the KD and PS2.

Ditto. The KDW is a decent tire but the PS2, KD, and GS-D3 are on a whole other level.

If you need good wet traction go for the PS2 or GS-D3. If you don't care about wet traction the KD is probably your best bet depending on price.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mich and BFG's are all made by michelin so quality wise, theyre gona be the same. Its all gona come down to how sticky you want the tire to be.

The GSD3 is more in line with a KDW fwiw.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Mich and BFG's are all made by michelin so quality wise, theyre gona be the same. Its all gona come down to how sticky you want the tire to be.

The GSD3 is more in line with a KDW fwiw.
Not sure where you heard that.

No offense but I've used every tire in this thread on the same vehicle and the D3 is in line with the KD when it comes to dry traction at least straight ahead traction. It completely blows the KDW away in every aspect.

The KD outperformed the PS2 in every aspect except for wet traction.

The D3 did everything well and actually had better straightline traction than all of them at least when it was warm out.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

I run the KDW 295/35/18 and there great on dry pavement to so hot in the rain
Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Not sure where you heard that.

No offense but I've used every tire in this thread on the same vehicle and the D3 is in line with the KD when it comes to dry traction at least straight ahead traction. It completely blows the KDW away in every aspect.

The KD outperformed the PS2 in every aspect except for wet traction.

The D3 did everything well and actually had better straightline traction than all of them at least when it was warm out.
Not sure where I heard what?

Ive used a good number of these tires also and for the money the KDW is a better tire for the money. The only thing that ive noticed with the D3's is that they do not follow the ruts on the highway. Dry traction is a little better, and their both inline when it comes to wet traction.

I cant comment on the PS2 as I havent driven hard on them, but I feel its on the same level as the KD simply because both of them are on the softer end of the spectrum and dont last as long compared to the others. If I had to choose betwene the two, it would be the PS2.

This is all my opinion from my personal experience so there really is no right or wrong.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Not sure where I heard what?

Ive used a good number of these tires also and for the money the KDW is a better tire for the money. The only thing that ive noticed with the D3's is that they do not follow the ruts on the highway. Dry traction is a little better, and their both inline when it comes to wet traction.

I cant comment on the PS2 as I havent driven hard on them, but I feel its on the same level as the KD simply because both of them are on the softer end of the spectrum and dont last as long compared to the others. If I had to choose betwene the two, it would be the PS2.

This is all my opinion from my personal experience so there really is no right or wrong.
Cool. I had a completely different experience though The KDW may be a good bang for the buck tire but the D3 improved upon the KDW in every way. I had the KDW first. The only thing the KDW came close to the D3 in was tracking and lateral traction since the D3 has a similar sidewall. Traction straightline both wet and dry and it wasn't even close in my experience. I tried the KD's next. Similar traction although it tracked better and had better lateral traction, the D3 had a bit better straighline traction. Wet traction was way worse with the KD. They lasted about as long as the D3's. The PS2 I had for a week and took them back because I had problems with 2 of them. Changed the car back to the D3's since the PS2 didn't impress me much for the money.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Default KDW2's

Cool. I had a completely different experience though The KDW may be a good bang for the buck tire but the D3 improved upon the KDW in every way. I had the KDW first. The only thing the KDW came close to the D3 in was tracking and lateral traction since the D3 has a similar sidewall. Traction straightline both wet and dry and it wasn't even close in my experience. I tried the KD's next. Similar traction although it tracked better and had better lateral traction, the D3 had a bit better straighline traction. Wet traction was way worse with the KD. They lasted about as long as the D3's. The PS2 I had for a week and took them back because I had problems with 2 of them. Changed the car back to the D3's since the PS2 didn't impress me much for the money.
Have you tried the BFG KDW2s http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=9 by far better than the D3s and others all around. I haven't had a better tire for rain than these. You can actually push it in the rain. And a great tire for dry.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChoiceCam00
Have you tried the BFG KDW2s http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=9 by far better than the D3s and others all around. I haven't had a better tire for rain than these. You can actually push it in the rain. And a great tire for dry.
Ive sold thoes to a couple of customers at work. I cant speak for them personally, but never had any come back with complaints either.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChoiceCam00
Just checked out the link. Those are not the ones I used. I used the old style but from what I've read here traction is almost identical. Some people even preferred the old tire. Also, I don't even see the KDW2 in the 274/40/17 size?

Last edited by Dal1as; 08-20-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Just checked out the link. Those are not the ones I used. I used the old style but from what I've read here traction is almost identical. Some people even preferred the old tire. Also, I don't even see the KDW2 in the 274/40/17 size?
That's because they don't make it in our 16" & 17" OEM sizes.