Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Widening Stock Trans Am Wheels - Who's Done It?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Widening Stock Trans Am Wheels - Who's Done It?

I am looking into getting a pair of my stock 16" wheels widened from 8 1/2" to 9 1/2 or 10" by cutting the wheel and welding in a spacer. There is a wheel supplier in my area who has done several of these but on Mustang wheels.

What I would like to know is, who has done this and were they able to go 10" without changing the offset of the rim. Also other than hammering in the front corner of the wheel well and possibly removing the bump stop, were any other mods needed to make it work?

Now I know some people would say just buy new wheels but I had a plan for this car from the beginning and that was to keep it as stock appearing as possible for the "stealth" look and now with the power I put to the wheels 245's just can't hold it on the street. I would love to go 315's but I'm cool with 285's to avoid too much modification to the wells.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only way to widen a wheel without changing the offset, would be to add equal width to both the front and back of the wheel . . . which with most F-Car OEMwheels is not possible.

Are there many choices of wide 16" diameter tires . . . ?

Seems an awefully big expence for an undesireable wheel diameter. IMHO.