Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

wilwood brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wilwood brakes?

Does anyone know if the wilwood brake kit for the 98-02 f-bodies will clear 17 inch torq thrust 2's I know that the diameter is fine its just the offset that Im wondering will clear?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to guess no. I have the 6 piston Wilwood superlite's and they have a bunch of additonal caliper overhang compared to other aftermarket calipers. I use a 18" 3 piece rim and it was very close to touching the inside of the spoke. The best thing you can do is download the PDF template for fitment and check it against the Torque Thrust.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

96 is correct regarding caliper overhang being problematic. Offset or backspace of a wheel is typically not the issue...this relates to how the wheel is centered in the fender well.

When overhang is rather large, limitations will occur with many brands of wheels. You need a wheel with a large convex center as shown above.

The brakes as listed above can work out to be a very nice road race setup which stops on a dime using large footprint tires...afterthoughts seen may be fitting wheels that you actually like or want may not be in the menu. Increased brake performance can have a downfall from the need of overly heavy wheels which detract from braking performance hindering handling etc. This can be a double edged sword. Drag brakes are out of the picture if it is of any interest to you.

I suggest considering overall performance, stay with the stock LS1 brakes, they actually work rather well. Even a modest upgrade regarding rotors or pads can have an increase in braking performance…while not creating new problems. In the end, it will be quite a cost savings between new limited wheels needed to clear brakes as well as the cost of the upgraded brakes themselves.

For the drag racers reading this, upgrading brakes for drag applications in attempt to stop quicker is not the best answer, limitations of the skinny tire comes into play…more than likely you’ll find you skid easier and quicker with road race brake setups.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have that wheel setup on a 94 TA and it stops like ****