Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Pictures of cleared aluminum rims?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of cleared aluminum rims?

Does anyone have pictures of cleared polished aluminum rims? Either paint or even clear powdercoat... I've searched and can't find any. I've heard that they will yellow or haze over time, but I would think a good automotive clear would hold up? Thanks :flag:
Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

hmmm dont know sorry
Old 09-27-2007, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I asked a friend of mine that's a paint and body guy about this last week. I just ordered some polished wheels for track use and want to make them easier to keep clean and asked him about clearing them. He said automotive clear wouldn't adhere. Called around and a bunch of local shops said if you heat the polished wheel for powder or ceramic coating they will yellow or bubble in the process. I looked around some more and found a product by POR-15 that is supposed to work. It's a 2 step process called Glisten PC, comes with the clear stuff and a hardener/activator. It can be brushed or sprayed on. You have to prep the surface with AP-120 that they sell so the clear will work on the polished surface.
I'm currently in limbo between having the wheel centers painted or using this stuff, looks pretty promising though.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

factory WS6 wheels are polished/cleared. I've never seen a yellow set before.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool! very cool cool cool cool
Old 09-27-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used that Glisten PC from Por15 and it clouded up the rims BAD. It was even sprayed on by the BEST paint/body guy in my town. He did one wheel like 3 times, stripping off in between layers of course. He ended up calling me to show me what it looked like and it really ruined a good rim. I'm just glad he didn't do them all. We ended up stripping the rim again and it took me forever to get it to look like the rest again! I just deal with polishing them now, I do it like once a month so its not as bad as I thought it would be.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Launching!

I used a polyurethane clear coat over polished rims before, turned yellow and was VERY difficult to remove. I didnt want to sand it off, I couldnt strip it with thinner, so I polished through it. Factory rims dont yellow because they are powder coated. I can't speak for the paint you are talking about, but I had a bad experience. Plus, after painting it was just not as shiny as the polished aluminum.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:58 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks guys. I think I might use an automotive clear. The only really downside I can actually find proof of is it flaking from curb rash, but the same would happen w/ chrome. Plus I'm not planning on rubbing my rims up on curbs
Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

I was also gonna try House of Kolor clear on my rims after the Por 15 disaster but the guy at the shop said it would turn yellow after being in the sun. Plus you have to think about when you get new tires mounted on the wheel, the mounting process will cause the paint to get scratched or flake off. Same thing if your not careful with a lug wrench. I'm not trying to tell you what to do I'm just telling you my experiences and what the body guy told me. He is very knowledgeable with this kind of stuff since he has been doing it for years. He has had shops in NM and Cal so I'm sure he has painted a little of everything.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:06 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by porksoda
I was also gonna try House of Kolor clear on my rims after the Por 15 disaster but the guy at the shop said it would turn yellow after being in the sun. Plus you have to think about when you get new tires mounted on the wheel, the mounting process will cause the paint to get scratched or flake off. Same thing if your not careful with a lug wrench. I'm not trying to tell you what to do I'm just telling you my experiences and what the body guy told me. He is very knowledgeable with this kind of stuff since he has been doing it for years. He has had shops in NM and Cal so I'm sure he has painted a little of everything.
That really makes no sense in why the clear would yellow on the rim. If that was the case, it would also yellow on the car...

I wouldn't get the outer rim of the wheel cleared.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used that Glisten PC from Por15 and it clouded up the rims BAD. It was even sprayed on by the BEST paint/body guy in my town. He did one wheel like 3 times, stripping off in between layers of course. He ended up calling me to show me what it looked like and it really ruined a good rim. I'm just glad he didn't do them all. We ended up stripping the rim again and it took me forever to get it to look like the rest again! I just deal with polishing them now, I do it like once a month so its not as bad as I thought it would be.
Wow, thanks for the insight (and sorry about your bad experience), you just saved me lots of headache. Guess I'll have the centers painted eventually instead.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Launching!

What about Zoops sealer?
Old 09-28-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why Would An Automotive Clear Turn Yellow On A Rim Versus Turning Yellow On A Car?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:17 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kokingSS
Why Would An Automotive Clear Turn Yellow On A Rim Versus Turning Yellow On A Car?
I'm guessing your wheel doesn't have coats of paint and primer on it like your car does.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kokingSS
This is a good question, maybe an expert can explain this?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

the center of my wheels are cleared.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CRASH 02
the center of my wheels are cleared.
Got any pics??
Old 09-29-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Most aftermarket/stock wheels come clear coated but it is not regular automotive clear coat since it is too weak for everyday driving. If I remember right it is powdercoat on most of them. If you look at the WS6 wheels they are cleared and they look good until you find someone that stripped the clear and polished them. Once that clear is stripped they shine like no other!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

This sounds like their prep procedure wasn't followed. They specifically state that "When applying over polished metals (aluminum, chrome, brass, copper etc) you must use AP120 metal prep according to instructions."

I wouldn't blame this on the product.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:09 AM
TECH Resident

Factory WS6,Y2K,CE Z06,C6 wheels are all polished with a clear coat. To name a few off the top of my head.