Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

All Seasons or Summer+Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Seasons or Summer+Winter?

I live in the DC area (though I may be moving to the VA Beach area in the next ~6 mo.). We get a 0-2" snow storm about 3 times a winter and a 5-8" storm once a winter (which takes my county a week to clear ). I've always driven my 1991 Camaro RS with "performance" (according to tirerack) all seasons. Once or twice a winter I'll have a white knuckle commute, but I've always made it through okay by driving smart.

Currently, I'm buying a 2001 Camaro SS SLP, which has 200hp more than '91. At first I thought running dedicated summers and winters would be mandatory in order to safely control the ******* fury. But now I'm wondering if I can get by with a set of "ultra high performance" (again, tirerack's categorization) all seasons.

I definately want to be able to handle my car's power safely and allow me to take off ramps and turns at speed without ending up on the curb and allow me to mash the gas at stoplights without fishtailing. On the other hand, I'm not going to be taking the car to the track or autocross.

What are your thoughts? Can I get by with all seasons or does my car/weather demand dedicated winter and summer tires?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

You could prob get away with a good quality all season tire. Avon, Continental and Perelli make some good ones. I you are really concerned, you can't beat a dedicated set of winter tires.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would get 2 sets. You dont' want good rims getting salt etc on them all the time and still just have moderate snow ability.

Get a cheap set of z28 wheels put some good witner tires. Then enjoy nice rims and good summer tread tires the rest of the time.

Quick Reply: All Seasons or Summer+Winter?