Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Broke a stud on 5x120 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Broke a stud on 5x120 wheels

I just wanted to share that I broke a stud while checking torque on my lugs
I know this topic has been debated to death so I figured I would share and document my experience.
The wheel was my right rear 18x9.5 and I am using hubcentric rings. I never had any problems with this before but the car is almost 10 yrs old now so I'm just going to replace the stud and see what happens.
Just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem ?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were you using a torque wrench?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:01 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I broke two studs when I had stock factory wheels. I'd say it just a coincidence and not related to the difference bolt pattern. Just for kicks, I'm going to measure my bolt pattern and then compare it to my buddy's stock bolt pattern. I think it would put to rest a lot of the speculation about how 5x120 will cause the wheels to fall off because they are less than a millimeter smaller in diameter.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I broke two studs when I had stock factory wheels. I'd say it just a coincidence and not related to the difference bolt pattern. Just for kicks, I'm going to measure my bolt pattern and then compare it to my buddy's stock bolt pattern. I think it would put to rest a lot of the speculation about how 5x120 will cause the wheels to fall off because they are less than a millimeter smaller in diameter.
I agree it does seem like coincidence that's why i'm just replacing the stud and not worrying about it.
And yes I was using a Torque Wrench set at 100 ftlb's.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have broken the studes with stock wheels a couple of times. When I had it replaced the guy told me that the stud on the cars are soft metal and can break or stripped easily.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guz
I have broken the studes with stock wheels a couple of times. When I had it replaced the guy told me that the stud on the cars are soft metal and can break or stripped easily.
+1 on that.. I broke a couple stock studs with stock wheels. so now on all my F-bodies I've ever had I just replace them with ARP studs. Never broke an ARP stud and doubt I ever will.