Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nitrogen Filled Tires...Ya or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I actually prefer to inflate my tires by blowing through a straw.
I fill my tires with antifreeze so if I ever get a nail or a leak the tires will smoke like crazy
and I will know there is a problem.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ lol
Old 02-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
i thought all NASCAR cup cars ran nitrogen in thier tires. ^^^
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 PM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put them in the tires on my truck. They are 275/30/24s and it made a nice difference
Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Launching!

yeah i just got a set of C6 ZO6's with new rubber and im gonna run nitrogen to see how i like it... heres a crazy question lets see if anyone has any info on this. for a number of years my fathers trucking company has been using this stuff called balancing powder its almost like a sand and you put a set measurment in a tire (depending on the size you have to measure it out on a gram scale) well anyways you put it in there and you dont have to use wheel weights and it actually expands to the inperfections of the tire and gives a perfect balance. my father says he also noticed alot better tire wear in all of his trucks he ran it in. im gonna run this in my SS with this new rubber. anyone think the Nitrogen will effect if???? and if your interested its made by a companys call Tech International and like i said you just have to measure it out for so many grams for different tire sizes
Old 06-06-2008, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

you should just fill the tires with water (better traction!)
Old 06-06-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I actually prefer to inflate my tires by blowing through a straw.

Same here but I just filled them up with farts.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Fill your tires with Al Gore's hot air,

Which end you want to take it out of is up to you.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Teching In

hmm and how much of the air we breathe is NITROGEN, idc if its 98% to 75%, wow 23% not going to change anything.... its a scam to get the ignorant
Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Teching In

hahaha sorry wrong thread
Old 10-02-2008, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Will E- you are correct. Not much to make a diff. The aviation industry has used N2 for the fuel cell to make the fuel less volitile. I use it in the oilfield in Coiled Tubing- but thats a whole different animal. I think the majority off people who say they can feel a differance is because they are paying for it so they are actually watching thier tire press more often than they used to. Now N2 does act different in certain forms but not at 35 psi. In shock absorbers where psi and heat are greater than tires-it works great there. But then again Ive known people who change the air in thier tires from summer to winter air.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Again, I can speak from factual first hand experience. We have recently had a 15-20 degree temp drop, especially at night. We have had countless cars come in with low tire pressure lights on that we nitrofilled as recent as one month ago prior to purchase. I think certain tires do well with nitrogen, but they may also have done well air 02. Nitrogen may also perform in a more stable manner in extreme temperature differences, such as racing or high altitude conditions.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only use nitrogen on all 28 of my tires, and they've only had nitro. When i check them in the morning as oppossed to after the sun has been up for a while, pressure will be higher.
Also nitrogen is used as a fire suppressant.

Don't waste your time/money putting it in your DD.

BTW i'm talking about a C5 Galaxy
Attached Thumbnails Nitrogen Filled Tires...Ya or Nay-c5arriving.jpg  
Old 10-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Snake oil
Old 10-04-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

waste of money unless it is free. For most of us that actually take care of their cars this is not needed because we actually check our air pressure.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

HAHA, 28 tires! damn, I get crewchiefs complaining about 3. Yea they dont tell people about the temp when servicing them. One our helos has a NIU for the fuel cells also,
Old 10-04-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I had my rears replaced a year and a half ago the guy at the shop "nitrogenized" them for free and I will say I haven't had to add any air since. The temp out here dropped from 70's last week to 30's at night and I didn't notice a change. I don't think I would pay extra to have it done though.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blades11b
yeah i just got a set of C6 ZO6's with new rubber and im gonna run nitrogen to see how i like it... heres a crazy question lets see if anyone has any info on this. for a number of years my fathers trucking company has been using this stuff called balancing powder its almost like a sand and you put a set measurment in a tire (depending on the size you have to measure it out on a gram scale) well anyways you put it in there and you dont have to use wheel weights and it actually expands to the inperfections of the tire and gives a perfect balance. my father says he also noticed alot better tire wear in all of his trucks he ran it in. im gonna run this in my SS with this new rubber. anyone think the Nitrogen will effect if???? and if your interested its made by a companys call Tech International and like i said you just have to measure it out for so many grams for different tire sizes
Is this powder u speak of black? When I first bought my car and had the tires changed, the tires that came off the car both of them in the rear had this black powder in it, it was like little pieces of **** idk but if this is the same powder then ur on crack, I had the tires replaced because one side was wearing from the outside in and had the belts showing and the other side was wearing from inside out and had the strings actually peeling from the belt. So it probably isnt the same powder but if it is then idk lol
Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
waste of money unless it is free. For most of us that actually take care of their cars this is not needed because we actually check our air pressure.
do you check & adjust the air pressure in your tires both before driving (when the tires & the air inside them are cold), and after driving a few miles (after the tires & air in them heat up), both in the morning & the afternoon, of every day you drive?

i think you're kinda missing the entire point of the nitrogen in the tires and the role it plays, or at least conveniently leaving out the fact that you understand it so you can make some (misguided) point......

nitrogen is put in there to help keep the tire pressure more constant throughout different temperature and air pressure ranges, all the time, and those temperature & pressure changes happen all the time.....it's not meant to keep you from ever having to check your air pressure. even with nitrogen, you will need to check the pressure just as much as you always do anyway, as it is still going to lose pressure over a long amount of time, just as regular air does.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

this is pretty much a marketing gimmick. the reasoning behind it is that nitrogen holds less moisture than "air" so you have less of a chance of any moisture doing damage to your tire from the inside out over a long period of time. the expanding and contracting plays a roll in it as well, but tire pressure dosnt change rapidly or volume wise enough to worry about it, and the little that a nitrogen filled tire is going to help with expansion is so minute its laughable. oh, and how do they get the "air" out of the tire that is caught in there when you mount the tire on the rim? even if you op for this rip off, your still gonna have some ozone in there! one warning i will throw out there is when filling your tires at a local gas station air pump,,, purge the air hose out with a pen or something before filling your tire!! you'll be amazed at how much water comes out because they dont purge the air tank enough.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Filled Tires...Ya or Nay