Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Balancing Draglites... get in here!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing Draglites... get in here!!

Ok... I'm in a bit of a state of confusion here. Now, I'm accustomed to seeing Draglites without tape weights on the inside of the wheel. We had a set come through the shop the other day and my boss told me that they're supposed to be static balanced with a tape weight in the center, with a strip of duct tape over it... Now I've seen a lot of these wheels scrape like hell on the calipers and I would think you'd leave well enough alone unless the customer wants it balanced a particular way. How do you guys have yours balanced? Todd, I'm hopin to hear from you in particular.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Balancing Draglites... get in here!!

My drag lights have regular wheel weights on the inside. If you do try to speed balance them, be sure to secure the centers... normally 2 of the red plugs is enough.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Back when I worked in the store, and more importantly back when I had Drag lites on my ride, I did exactly as you stated above...static balance with tape weights in the center. Some people choose not to balance them at all.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:28 PM
kp
8 Second Club

The fronts will balance with tape weights. I used regular weights on the inside rears (15x8 rodlites) and they move around quite a bit along with the tires. I am going to try putting tape weights as far on the inside as they will go. I tried them in a few different spots and they hit the caliper so I used the pound on weights but that isnt working. If the wheel is really clean you can skip the duct tape but if its kinda cruddy the duct tape keeps them from flying off..
Old 07-24-2003, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I figured Todd, what I was worried about was what kp was sayin about the caliper scraping on the tape weight in the center.

And yes John, I did secure the center with the 2 red shipping plugs.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:33 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I re-balanced mine today (lost two clip-on weights on the rear last time at the track) and since one of my ET steets needs 9oz to balance (its the tire, tried it on 3 different rims) I coulnt do the tape weights because you can only get one strip of the weights all the way on the inside of the rim and that wasnt enough, I used two 3oz regular weights and 3oz of tape on the inside. Maybe on 15x10s you can get a couple rows of tape weights on the inside but on 15x8s with LS1 brakes it isnt going to happen unless you grind the top of the caliper down a lot..