Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Repairing a leaky rim

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing a leaky rim

So I'm tired of this running around I'm getting from the place I got the rim and the place that put the tires on the rims. Both are accusing the other of doing something and its gotten to the point where I just want it fixed. The place that mounted the tires and everything said they will take the two pieces apart and allow ME to apply silicon to it and then rebound them back together.

So my question is...what type of silicon should I be looking for so I can get this done ASAP???
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

We use GE Silicone in a tube. Stick with the name brands, they seem to last longer. Allow it to dry COMPLETELY, before remounting.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjordan
We use GE Silicone in a tube. Stick with the name brands, they seem to last longer. Allow it to dry COMPLETELY, before remounting.

Yes, but aren't there a couple of different stock numbers...besides just the different numbers for clear, black, etc??

I've done a few over the years, but my memory isn't what it used to be, so I can't recall the GE p/n.....

Also, if it's a CCW wheel, you don't really have to take the wheel completely apart and then have to worry about getting it retorqued properly. Remove the tire, then cut the old silicone out as carefully as possible, creating a "V" groove that you then refill with silicone, and blend it slightly over the rim halves. Let it cure then CAREFULLY remount tire, taking care not to disturb the new silicone.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

it appears to be on the inner part of the rim (near the middle where the spokes converge). its like 2PSI a day so its not a lot so I'm assuming its a small leak. Can I seal just that part or do I have to reseal all of it again?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Use GE is800 Series (it specifically states it bonds to aluminum without primer). If I were having to go to all that trouble, I would do the whole thing, if you have a problem with one area in your old silicone, a problem in another area will follow. Do it once, do the whole wheel.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jjordan
Use GE is800 Series (it specifically states it bonds to aluminum without primer). If I were having to go to all that trouble, I would do the whole thing, if you have a problem with one area in your old silicone, a problem in another area will follow. Do it once, do the whole wheel.

Any place I should look at getting that? I haven't really looked too hard but I dont think I saw it at Autozone.

I've obviously never done this before so any tips would be great thanks guys!!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT2002
Any place I should look at getting that? I haven't really looked too hard but I dont think I saw it at Autozone.

I've obviously never done this before so any tips would be great thanks guys!!

Try a builders supply store, or a place like Lowes, Home Depot, etc....