Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Used tires from tire companies on Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008 | 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
Your unfortunate experience is far from typical. I've bought used tires off ebay several times. In most cases, you simply get what you pay for. They're used and they're cheap - as simple as that.
$50 per tire plus shipping isn't cheap. The tires were rated by tread wear and these were advertised at 90%.

If a seller hasn't posted a picture of the actual tire, that's a HUGE red flag right there. I'd never buy from a seller who won't disclose the true condition of the tire.
The picture shown was not stated as a stock photo. There was no reason for me to think it was anything but what was going out the door. I told the seller over the phone that the picture didn't represent the product. He replied that they didn't have time to take pictures of every tire.

Caveat emptor is a philosophy to swear by if you're buying any used items, especially off ebay.
No, a legitmate and established business shouldn't be a buyer beware situation. Ebay's buyer protection is really seller protection if a seller knows how to use it, they can bleed out a small percentage of junk and still look golden. I was cheated because of the way the system can work for crafty sellers and the fact that I was lazy at digging into both the seller and buyer feedback. I trusted that feedback percentage and was foolish enough to buy used tires for a performance car.
Old 09-03-2008 | 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I actually picked up a nice used set of Toyo All Terrain tires for my Blazer on Ebay and am still rolling on them after almost 20000 miles. I got 'em for $120 and some change shipped to my door believe it or not.
However, as previously mentioned, I wouldn't trust used tires for my SS for reasons that should be pretty obvious; and especially when, if you're on a budget, you can pick up a NEW set of Sumitomo's for around $400.

Quick Reply: Used tires from tire companies on Ebay?