Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

what skinnies to run?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what skinnies to run?

Got my greg weld 15x3.5 over the weekend..dont really want to waste more then $100 on the tires for them..since i'll only be using them about 2-3 times a year at the track..maybe once of twice on street driving..i'll be running hoosier quick time 26x11.5x15 out back..what tire would you guys reccomend for skinnies?

thanks for any help..
Old 06-01-2008, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MT ET fronts.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you can do like many others do and run a tire that is not speed or load rated for your car nor is it a proper diameter nor is it designed to run on a skinny 3.5 wheel. It also stresses the wheels a great bit too.

This has been a great idea for many considering you only steer with the front wheels. So with all the above stated, the 30.00 pep boys or future tires whichever some call them will not cost you much at all.

We infact are not going to be covering customers in the future who even consider to use these type of radial tires on our wheels. Radial tires place quite a bit of stress on any type of front runner. The VW tires are dangerous, obviously not a good idea period. leave them to the VW cars or cars that run a 5-6" wheel and only a few thousand pounds with a top speed of 80.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:43 PM
9 Second Club

I havent had a prob with my "VW" tires at 145mph but i dont like them and orderd some M/Ts
Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost forgot....pressures which are typically used is 40-50psi's. This is above the rated max 35psi's ...also another good idea as well. Though still not within ratings...You may as well throw the tires specs out when you're pushing the pressures mentioned above.

My whole point to my sarcastic comments are to please don't use the wrong tires just because a person may be too cheap to spend the money on something they have to drive on...and typically drive very fast as the 145 rating mentioned above. Your car is worth more...no your life AND my life if I"m driving next to you on the track and you total my car or injured me because you didn't want to spend a few dollars on a correctly spec'd tire.

Think smart. The cost of the tires is nothing these days in comparison to the price of fuel.

Superz, its good to see that you've changed your tire.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MT ET fronts x2
Old 06-03-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

I run VW tires on my car now, mainly because I hardly ever run my drag rims and wanted something cheap to drive around on for a while.

Don't get me wrong though, I will for sure be ordering some front runners in the future. I just don't have the cash right now and 50 bucks for two tires isn't bad.