Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

just to warn a few of you about mcguires

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be a good idea to know what material you are trying to clean before you buy any product.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stockerws6
So you're bashing Meguiar's (it's not Mcguires) products and you don't even know what finish wheels you have or if you used the right product? I have had good experiences with their products.
I agree. It sure sounds like you are blaming Meguiar's for the damage by the title of this thread. What do you mean "warn us about Meguiar's"???? YOU made the mistake by using a product without knowing first what type of finish is on your wheels!!!!

I have used Meguiar's proudcts for over 10yrs, and it is great stuff. I never had not one problem at all....NEVER!!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stevez2885
well i contacted mcquires and they told me that they most like are polished aluminum wheels but they sure did shine like chrome to me. the wheels were on the car when i bought them so i guess there is a possibility they are polished aluminum.
That reminds me of the guy that posted in one of my threads about some pieces I had chromed that he "chromed his stuff himself by hand."
Old 06-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

i already said what im warning people about so dont u guys get all butt hurt. i tried the mag and aluminum polish from them and its cleaning the wheels up very nice. i just wont have a clear coat. i went and bought black z06 motorsport wheels from tomzwheels today anyways so its not like im that worried about it. what happened to me could easily happen to alot of people on here whos wheels were already on their car when they bought it. this is the reason why i posted it in the first place. not only that but i didnt know that a wheel cleaner on the market would do that to any wheels. anywho im already polishing them back up and getting ready to have them re-clearcoated to look good again so i can sell them. thanks to all you guys that posted to try to help me out.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stevez2885
i already said what im warning people about so dont u guys get all butt hurt. i tried the mag and aluminum polish from them and its cleaning the wheels up very nice. i just wont have a clear coat. i went and bought black z06 motorsport wheels from tomzwheels today anyways so its not like im that worried about it. what happened to me could easily happen to alot of people on here whos wheels were already on their car when they bought it. this is the reason why i posted it in the first place. not only that but i didnt know that a wheel cleaner on the market would do that to any wheels. anywho im already polishing them back up and getting ready to have them re-clearcoated to look good again so i can sell them. thanks to all you guys that posted to try to help me out.
First off if your polishing them now without stripping them, then you never had a clear coat on them in the first place. And without a clear coat ANYTHING incuding water will stain and spot them. And trust me the cleaner may have spotted a clear but it would have stripped it...its a pain in the *** to do with paint stripper.

You plan to have them clear coated...how and by who? You cant just spray clear automotive paint (or worse...clear spray paint) and them and expect it to last. POR15 makes a very good clear for rims called Glisten...I would go that route if I were you.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Banned

theres a wheel repair guy in austin that paints wheels, clear coats, refinishes and everything so im gonna end up having him do them. but i also seen that dupli-color had a clear finish for wheels. do you think theres will be any good?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JScamaro
It would be a good idea to know what material you are trying to clean before you buy any product.

ARE YOU SERIOUS????? This is America...... You go into Pep Boys, or any other "high end" supplier, grab the first bottle off the shelf and spray it all over. When it "Fs" up your wheels, you get on the net, tell everyone what a piece of "S" that product is, then call your lawyer and sue!!

Old 06-08-2008, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

I use that stuff on my stock grey wheels and love it. Makes them look better then ever and makes the brake calipers and brackets looks like brand new.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn ive used this for a year and it makes my rims look amazing
Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is important to read and understand the products and their usages. I had the opposite experience with one of our customers.

Apparantly, the customer used a chrome cleaner on our aluminum wheels and wanted us to replace the wheels for "defective" aluminum used.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
It is important to read and understand the products and their usages. I had the opposite experience with one of our customers.

Apparantly, the customer used a chrome cleaner on our aluminum wheels and wanted us to replace the wheels for "defective" aluminum used.

Did you tell him he had a "defective" brain??
Old 06-09-2008, 12:46 PM
FormerVendor

It was very frustrating trying to explain that the material was not defective and it was directly related to the cleaning products used. You'd be surprised, I had a guy use 409 household cleaner on the wheels and wondered why the wheel look like crap. It also damaged the coating on the bolts that are used as well.

Though this may not be the case with this particular poster, it’s a shame when someone calls foul on a manufactures product due to the customers negligence. Another problem is folks using front radial tires on skinny wheels when the tires are not meant for the skinny wheel...we'll get the "Bogart wheels are weak" comment when they break their wheel. I’ve heard from others that were using prostars they used the radials all the time…though just the other day, I read someone on the board broke their prostars with the vw radial tires…
Old 06-09-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
It was very frustrating trying to explain that the material was not defective and it was directly related to the cleaning products used. You'd be surprised, I had a guy use 409 household cleaner on the wheels and wondered why the wheel look like crap. It also damaged the coating on the bolts that are used as well.

Though this may not be the case with this particular poster, it’s a shame when someone calls foul on a manufactures product due to the customers negligence. Another problem is folks using front radial tires on skinny wheels when the tires are not meant for the skinny wheel...we'll get the "Bogart wheels are weak" comment when they break their wheel. I’ve heard from others that were using prostars they used the radials all the time…though just the other day, I read someone on the board broke their prostars with the vw radial tires…

It makes me wonder, sometimes, why ANY SANE person would want to own a manufacturing company...... Especially one that deals directly with the public.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:34 PM
FormerVendor

Regardless direct or indirect, we would be involved as vendors need assistance as well.

The world is a bit different now, people expect quite a bit from a manufacturer or even retail business...it's never the fault of the consumer so they say. Some want the world. For example (this is not the issue with the original poster) but I could see someone complaining about the rag they used and want the manufacture to reimburse them for the dirty rag or replacment rag that was ruined during the process.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 06-09-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

I think it's retail business period. No consumer is at fault and everything is defective. I also can only wonder how people stay in public business. As a Chrysler service advisor, I hear it every single day.

Last edited by Redlinez; 06-10-2008 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Get a can of mothers a stool and a few rags and try a to forget your that stupid
Old 06-10-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is why you keep your wheels cleaned regularly, and ONLY use products that your would feel safe to use on the paint of your car . . . . If the product is safe and gentle enough for automotive paint, 99% of the time it will be safe and gentle on your wheels.

I hate . . . absolutely HATE "wheel" cleaners . . . typically they are too harsh and eventually if not instaneously damage your wheels.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:59 PM

I never use this stuff

Quick Reply: just to warn a few of you about mcguires