Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What back spacing will I need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What back spacing will I need?

I dont understand backspacing sizes when it comes to rims and tires. A friend of mine has A set of 4" fronts, and 15*8's that will sell me for cheap. I dont know what the back spacing is, but what will I need so I dont need to do any caliper grinding, and I dont want to use a spacer. Thank you
Old 08-24-2003, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What back spacing will I need?

BS for an Fbody for 15x8 is 5.5

If you don't want to run a spacer... you'll have to do quite a bit of grinding.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Respectfully John, BS for an F-body is larger then 5.5 inches on an 8 inch rim...problem is that most drag manufactures largest choice for an 8 inch rim is 5.5 inches. This means it's the best that one can do when choosing welds or centerline rims. Is 5.5 a bad thing?? No, it is a personal choice appearance wise...most I'm sure prefer to have the rim tucked a bit more. This gives better clearance for large tire from the fender lip area being an obstruction (especially if you’re lowered).

A more appropriate B/S for our cars is around 6.25-6.5 inches for an 8 inch rim; this is what we use for our Bogart rims. This will place the rim in the near stock position rather then too far outward from the wheel well. This relieves any clearance issues that can arrise and gives the car a better stance appearance.

If the rears are 5.5 in B/S and you can get a good deal on the rims and you like them, I say go for it...I would stay away from them if they are less then 5.5 inches in the rear though.

Steve

Old 08-24-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-25-2003, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve.. I realize that. Obiviously!

The guys question was about a set of used rims, I assumed Welds... Which is the offset you need for Fbody. With nearly any 15" rim there will need to be some grinding on the leading edge of caliper, unless you get a wheel specifically made for a LS1 Fbody.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:-) no disrepect meant to my post to you John...I know you knew what you were talking about.

I wanted to be sure that when folks read your message, they didn't assume that rear 8 inch drag rims were always supposed to be at 5.5 inches to fit perfect on our cars...

I have received many requests in the past of folks stating that the 5.5 inches is what is supposed to be run for all 8 inch drag rims due to what they have read about and that is what they wanted due to their readings. I wanted to clarify that 5.5 BS was only used as it is the largest size available for the other main drag rim manufactures for the 8 inch rim.

Steve