Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Stripping paint/clear off of aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008 | 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Default Stripping paint/clear off of aluminum wheels

I have a set of wheels that have a big machined lip and 5 painted spokes. The whole wheel has a clear coating over it that is fading, cracking, etc. I plan on stripping all of the paint/clear off of the wheels then either repainting or powdercoating the spokes. I picked up some stuff at a parts store called "Aircraft Remover" that worked very well removing the clear from the machined lip, but it's not working well at all on the painted spokes. Does anyone have any suggestions for a product to strip the paint off? I've considered sandblasting but I'm worried about damaging the alloy and/or the machined lip.
Old 08-15-2008 | 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bare in mind that I am by no means an expert in sand blasting... or rather media blasting.

However, I think if you are having them media blasted by someone in that field, they can use a "media" such as baking soda that will only strip the paint and not hurt the wheel itself.
Old 08-15-2008 | 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Well I was actually planning on doing it myself, but I guess I could have someone do it for me... I'd prefer to use some sort of chemical to remove it, but if nothing else, it'll get blasted I guess.
Old 08-15-2008 | 10:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Skinny
Well I was actually planning on doing it myself, but I guess I could have someone do it for me... I'd prefer to use some sort of chemical to remove it, but if nothing else, it'll get blasted I guess.

Take it to a WHEEL shop, be smart, so you dont damage the metal underneath.

Quick Reply: Stripping paint/clear off of aluminum wheels