Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Stock Z06 Gunmetal wieght and size

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Z06 Gunmetal wieght and size

I have a set of the Stock Z06 gunmetal rims 17x9.5 all the way around. I know there is two kinds the speedlines and cant remember the other one right now but started with an A i believe I would like to know which is the better type to get since im looking to get another set for the rears and put drag radials on them.

Also should i stick to the same size rim for the rear drag radials or can i step up to the 18x10.5 and be ok or will it hurt me with the bigger diameter.

here is a picture for the ones im talking about

Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does anybody have any ideas on this.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Are you refering to when they changed to magnesium and got a little darker? That was in 2002.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda confused about your post. So I'll tell you what I know about those wheels...

The '01 wheels were made by Alcoa, and have a sharper spoke edge to them and appear darker because the metal that was used was darker (same paint code, made the wheels look a hair or 2 darker due to the actual color of the metal underneath). The Alcoa's are forged aluminum, but I've heard the speedlines (on 02-04 cars) are actually a little lighter weight (both are very light compared to aftermarket repros) and the spoke edge is smoother looking. Your wheels should have stamp on the inside of them that says 'speedline' if they're speedline wheels, I think both of them have the GM stamp. Your wheels appear to be lighter in color from the pics so I'd guess they're speedlines... Hope this helps

As far as dragradials go, I'd pick up an extra set of speedlines (easier to come by) and paint them to match your wheels if you do have the darker Alcoa's (verify inside of wheel like I mentioned). Then run a 275/40/17 tire on them. A taller sidewall on the 17" instead of the 18" wheel will help on launch.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks alot photochop so the Alcoa's are stamped also ill have to check that do they have the same part numbers? If there different does anyone know them.

I was thinking also that the 17" would be better for drag radials just liked the width of the 18 so i could put 315 on them but maybe ill see about widening a set of rims.

Thanks again for the info
Old 08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I looked through my PMs on Corvette Forums and it looks like all for of my rims are from 2001 Z06s. so the speedlines are lighter does anybody know how much lighter?

side note corvette forums is a pain in the but you cant even see posts that are older then a year.