Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

please help Just HAd new key made..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help Just HAd new key made..

I bought a 98 z28 bone stock..Has factory alarm..I lost the only set of keys and keypad..Went to the delarship today and had new keys made..Get in car try to start it and everything comes on,i can even here the fuel pump but security lights and horn and everything flashes...What can i do...???
Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

bypass VATS. Do a search and there are writeups
Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Why would i have to bypass vats..everything worked fine before i lost keys and remote...I had to bring title so they could get everything right???Does me not having remote cause something? I here the fuel pump and everything kick on..
Old 11-01-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

they mightve messed up the resistance for the chip in the new key.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

That's two different problems. The security light in the instrument cluster is only for the VATS system - it has nothing to do with the alarm. That light means that your new key has the wrong resistor pellet in it or that there is some other problem with VATS system. I suspect that it's the key since you just had it made.

The alarm system was probably triggered because you didn't use the remote to unlock the car. You can get a new remote and program it to match the car. In the meantime, you can program the alarm not to activate.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

The alarm system was probably triggered because you have to program the keyless entry remote to match the car (or you didn't use the remote to unlock the car).[/QUOTE]

I lost the remote and dont have one?? i assumed that the key would disarm it..I also just put new battery in to?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

The alarm system was probably triggered because you didn't use the remote to unlock the car. car. In the meantime, you can program the alarm not to activate.[/QUOTE]

Sorry im a newbie to ls1 world....So if the key resistor was right it would start even if alarm was going off??
Old 11-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

If the key resistor is correct, the car will start regardless of what is happening with the alarm. The VATS is the Vehicle Anti Theft System. The alarm is called the CTD (Content Theft Deterrent) by GM - it's intended to protect the stuff in your car but has nothing to do with the car starting.

The alarm system is not disabled by unlocking the doors with the key although, if you're quick enough, you can disarm the alarm by turning the ignition on (with the correct key) within about 30 seconds after opening the door. The reason is that the alarm system has no way of knowing if you are the owner using the key in the door or if you're a thief reaching inside and unlocking the door with the inside manual lock.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

You cant just make a duplicate of a gm key that has vats on it...If the locksmith(dealership) knows that the keys resistance has to be measured with a ohm meter or another device then you should be fine...O yea of course after checking your original keys restistance, he has to look at a chart and see which key code would work with ohm read out
or
tell the dealership they need to recut it..simple as that
Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jattgunman
You cant just make a duplicate of a gm key that has vats on it...If the locksmith(dealership) knows that the keys resistance has to be measured with a ohm meter or another device then you should be fine...O yea of course after checking your original keys restistance, he has to look at a chart and see which key code would work with ohm read out
or
tell the dealership they need to recut it..simple as that
so he can not get the chip resistance off the vin???
Old 11-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by stock302mustang
so he can not get the chip resistance off the vin???
Yes, but everyone makes mistakes. And some dealership personnel make more mistakes than others.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, but everyone makes mistakes. And some dealership personnel make more mistakes than others.
Ok just to make sure i understand this,,My car not starting does not have nothing to do with me not having the key pad....Do i just go back to the dealer with my title and have them do it over again...
Old 11-01-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

You said the security light flashed. That is the VATS system which is probably due to the chip in your new key.

The alarm went off because you did not disable the alarm with the key fob (since you dont have it) and you don't have the right resistance for the chip in your key to be able to start the car and disable the alarm.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

That's correct. Even on other GM models that have more sophisticated alarm systems that include fuel/starter disable, if you turn on the ignition using the correct key, it will disarm the alarm system and the car will start.

Is the security light staying on or flashing? If it's flashing then the problem is that the system can't read the key resistor pellet indicating a problem with the system rather than with the key itself. But if the security light stays on solidly, the system is reading the wrong key and you need to have a replacement key made.