Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

iPod ready head units

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod ready head units

Are there any iPod ready head units that have a USB port on the front of them other than the Kenwoods? Like any of the Pioneers or Alpines?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah. I got a pioneer unit in mine. The ipod hook up is in the back and theres a usb in the front. even comes with a remote. I can put up pics in the morning if you want me to
Old 12-10-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Resident

it doesnt have a front port but it does come with the usb cable.
Alpine IDA X100
Old 12-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1wkd6
Yeah. I got a pioneer unit in mine. The ipod hook up is in the back and theres a usb in the front. even comes with a remote. I can put up pics in the morning if you want me to
Yeah, that'd be cool if you could. I've had a pioneer before and really liked them so I kinda want to go with what I know.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Yep, there are quite a few actually. A lot of new head units come with a front and/or rear USB/aux hook up. Mine is a kenwood (bleh) and it came with a front USB and aux but a friend of mine recently got a pretty nice Pioneer head unit with a front aux hook up for iPod/mp3, and USB in the back. Totally worth it, much nicer than mine.. Check out Best Buy or something, I'm sure they'll have it.

I personally like the aux hook up over the USB. It's cool to control the iPod through the head unit, but controlling the iPod directly couldnt be easier.

Last edited by speedshift86; 12-10-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Alpine 9886 comes with ipod cable and has usb in the back. Just got this HU and its very nice
Old 12-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

This is my head unit I was talking about. I made a mistake in saying the USB was in the front, its actually an auxillary input. in the back, it has the link for a sub, ipod cable, steering wheel mounted controls , and the other speakers.
Attached Thumbnails iPod ready head units-head-copy.jpg  
Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Launching!

I'm not up to current on all of the cables. Is there somewhere I could check online that explains the difference between the ipod cable and the aux input. I just figured that the USB port on the front and ran the data from the ipod to the head unit and you could still use the click wheel on the ipod for navigation.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

i see what you were saying about the usb port, but theres a seperate cable that gets plugged into the back instead. some places will even give you this cable for free - i know circuit city does. its a 6' 5" long cable, so itll reach anywhere in the car you want it to.

and yes, you can still use the click wheel to control the ipod, but theres another really cool feature with these pioneers. you can switch control to the head unit and actually use the click wheel on the stereo itself to control the ipod.

here is a link to a picture of the cable. the top end is what plugs into the back of the unit, and the bottom part plugs directly into your ipod.

http://www.easy-caraudio.co.uk/image...pioncdi200.jpg

the auxillary input can be for headphones, psp's, anything that plugs into an auxillary jack
Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

The best way to hook up an iPod is through a BUS connection not a USB. Aske me how I know this.

Keep this in mind and look for a deck that has both a USB port and bus connection for the iPod controls.

You will be a lot happier in how it works.

If you use a iPod only and not a USB type flash drive you will not need a USB port, really.