Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

This is what happens when somebody tells you the wrong part #

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is what happens when somebody tells you the wrong part #

Okay this story happened in June...however since its winter im now fixing up the mess.

June:
I was updating my interior lights to LEDs. So I put this LED in my dome light, all the sudden I start hearing a weird bubbling/cracking sound after a couple seconds. There is no light coming...then I see smoke pouring out of my fuse box. I open up the fuse box and 20A courtesy fuse melted and was molten plastic! I ran around and quickly disconnected the battery before something even worse happened. Smoke clears I then investigate and find out my blue/white wire that goes from my Dome Light to the BCM has melted from the dome light down to where the passenger seat speaker (behind the drivers seat) is located.

My (2) maps lights, glove box light and dome light are not working.

Today:
I finally ripped apart a bunch of stuff and narrowed down the problem.
I got my BCM out from underneath the glove box. Opened it up and found one of the relays/SPDT on the circuit board has melted. Its looks like only one relay has been fried. So before I have to buy a new BCM im going to try to add a new relay/spdt..if anyone knows where I can purchase one in quantity that would be helpful.

Relay/SPDT Information:
Aromat
JSM1E12V5H15
AJSM631 M02
THAILAND 902 25F

If anyone knows where to get one or any info on how to get one or what to look for in getting one that would help.

Fuse box is okay I got out all the excess molten plastic in the way and the fuse works good in there. The orange power wire gets power. I think I just have to get a new BCM/or fix the relay and then fix up the blue/white wire where it melted in the headliner.

Last edited by blackops22; 12-16-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Holy hell dude. That sucks!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 346 Likes on 317 Posts

Maybe you had a bad fuse, which didn't blow - causing everything to melt down?

There is a post somewhere on the site showing how to order and replace the relays. You may try searching for it. (I don't know exactly where it is.) I think it had something to do with a lock relay.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
Maybe you had a bad fuse, which didn't blow - causing everything to melt down?

There is a post somewhere on the site showing how to order and replace the relays. You may try searching for it. (I don't know exactly where it is.) I think it had something to do with a lock relay.
Okay thanks ill look.

Today I went to the electronic parts store and brought my BCM. One of the guys hooked me up with a new relay. He said that it should work. So I soldered it on the board and plugged the BCM in. I turn on the lights and nothing happens. However I am getting power to dome light wires right now. Any suggestions on what I should do from here?

Ill post a pic within an hour of the new relay/SPTC.

UPDATE:

This is what it says ontop of the new relay/SPTC that fit into the circuit board without any problems:
Sanyou
12A 125VAC
7A 250V~
28 *symbol*(line and dotted line below)
7A 250V~
SRD-S-112D

Last edited by blackops22; 12-16-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Update.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i recall the ground also comes off the bcm for dimming purposes, did that get melted as well
Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Update

Just figured it out.... I had no bulbs in my map lights or glove box and my dome light hasn't been rewired yet with the new female/male connector. And basically when I re-soldered the new relay I just did a quick check to see i the lights worked. Anyways I fixed it and it all works!!!!

F*CK YAH!!!! Woooohooooo!

Saved ~250$ Canadian on a new BCM.

Last edited by blackops22; 12-16-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: This is what happens when somebody tells you the wrong part #