Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound Deadner Install Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ordered 120 sqft of edead 45 and it cost 118 shipped. Took 12 hours from start to finish, my fingers kill my back hurts and im hungry!! But it i started her up and what a difference. It sounded like stock. The doors shut with a decent thud not clank. By far i love it and can't wait to see what the road noise is like
Old 05-02-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last I read about fatmat was that it was asphault based.. So it may have some odor when the car gets hot inside... If you were going to go that route, I'd say just got to Lowe's or home depot and puck up some of their peel and stick for cheap..
Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

I so want/need to do this! Thanks for all this pics and info guys.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the reviews/install pics guys!

I am looking to do this in my vert this summer and I have a question about the install.

How thick is the material if only 1 layer is applied, I am asking this because once the top is down, it may not sit too well on top of wheel wells.

Being that its a convertible, I suppose it wont be as quiet as ttop or hardtop cars?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Over the last 5 days I have been installing 120sq ft of eDead sound deadner. Just got the interior back in today so I'll be trying everything out tomorrow to see how it sounds. Yes it took FOREVER and was somewhat of a PIA.

I did the entire car including the inside and outside of the doors, the fender wells inside the sail panel speaker hole, and double layered the center hump. I hope it's worth it
I was wondering how thick of material you used and with out doing the inside of the doors do you think I could get away with 100 sq ft. let me know because, I'm looking at going with the 80 mls. I have an 84 and my floors are semi close to your design but mainly want to keep noise out in then passenger department and possibly going with the 50 for the trunk area, the doors and sail panel areas.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tazman067
I was wondering how thick of material you used and with out doing the inside of the doors do you think I could get away with 100 sq ft. let me know because, I'm looking at going with the 80 mls. I have an 84 and my floors are semi close to your design but mainly want to keep noise out in then passenger department and possibly going with the 50 for the trunk area, the doors and sail panel areas.
I just used this stuff yesterday, I believe Brian got edead45, I used edead80. I bought 40 sq ft and it was barely enough to do the trunk/backseat area. I'd say 80 is good for the whole car plus maybe a little extra over the differential area.

I'm about to order 60 more sq feet just to go back over the car.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Results/lesson learned Sound damping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just finished installing some sound deadening while doing other mods over the weekend. I'm really happy with the results. The exhaust drone( the part I don't like from my GMMG exhaust and road noise were reduced. The stereo sounds better as well.
1. I used the paint on stuff inside the doors. It made it real easy to get even coverage inside where I couldn't reach for mat. I only got the floor and sides done from the flat area behing the rear seat to the trunk. I used 44 sq ft. and less than 2 ft in the garbage from scraps! I bought 50 sq ft of Edead 80 thinking I could do the whole floor. Surprise, ordered 40 more sq ft today. Tough on the back and took approximately 10 hours to do. I think the mat helps the panels not vibrate as well.
ed
I included the 3.50 cent brush from harbor freight, it about 12" long and bent. It made doing the inside doors much easier. The paint on stuff combined with the mat would have been better but I only had 1 quart to do the inside of the doors. Using it in the back in the corners would have been faster.
ed
see oeig post for photos
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...d-damping.html
Old 05-31-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

how many sq ft is everyone using to install on TA? I keep reading 100 sq ft and 120 sq ft. I just want some clarification.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by prince xizor
how many sq ft is everyone using to install on TA? I keep reading 100 sq ft and 120 sq ft. I just want some clarification.
Depends on what you want to do.. I did the doors, all of the trunk, floor up to the firewall, sides, everywhere except the headliner and hatch basically and it took me roughly 120
Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Book marking this I am going to order some. Only thing I found Edead v1 then the edead 120

That is the stuff that I think I am going to order I cound not find what he sadi he used.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just thought I'd add...if you're looking to just do the large flat sections of the floorpans and trunk area...you only really need about 40 square feet. That won't do up over the wheel wells, or in the doors, or along the rear quarters...but it'll get you a single layer of deadener on the drivers and passenger floorpans, as well as the tunnel behind the console, the entire backseat area, and the rear cargo area.

Should note I didn't waste anything...any scraps I had to cut off, I was able to find places I could put them into.

That said...I plan to buy another 60 or 80 square feet in the future to do the doors, the sail panels, the rear quarters, the rear wheel wells, further up the firewall (under GM's insulation) and double it up in a few areas too (the ones that sounded REALLY tinny before covering them...and they sound a lot better now...but still a little loose).

I used the amount I used for now with 2 goals in mind...I don't want to add TOO much weight to my car...and I also don't want to completely remove the carpet again, and I shouldn't need to now.

Last edited by Mike454SS; 06-04-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Just thought I'd add...if you're looking to just do the large flat sections of the floorpans and trunk area...you only really need about 40 square feet. That won't do up over the wheel wells, or in the doors, or along the rear quarters...but it'll get you a single layer of deadener on the drivers and passenger floorpans, as well as the tunnel behind the console, the entire backseat area, and the rear cargo area.

Should note I didn't waste anything...any scraps I had to cut off, I was able to find places I could put them into.

That said...I plan to buy another 60 or 80 square feet in the future to do the doors, the sail panels, the rear quarters, the rear wheel wells, further up the firewall (under GM's insulation) and double it up in a few areas too (the ones that sounded REALLY tinny before covering them...and they sound a lot better now...but still a little loose).

I used the amount I used for now with 2 goals in mind...I don't want to add TOO much weight to my car...and I also don't want to completely remove the carpet again, and I shouldn't need to now.
So how much should i order if i wanted to do the follwoing..

driver/passgenger both front and rear, as well as the hump going over and leading into the trunk area where the T-tops are?

I don't need to do the doors, sail panels. I just want to get rid of some road noise.

BTW what material did you use?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

driver/passgenger both front and rear, as well as the hump going over and leading into the trunk area where the T-tops are?

I don't need to do the doors, sail panels. I just want to get rid of some road noise.

Shouldnt you worry more about learning to shift right and get your et's down some?

If it is 120 to do the entire car I would say about 75 to do what you need
Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

You only need like 50 square feet probably.

I used Dynamat Extreme...not looking for perfection from my setup...just want to tighten up the parts of the floor and rear area that sound really tinny when you tap them with your knuckle...it may not be the best, but it's pretty cost effective (when you find the right place to buy it) and it does work.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by homerunhtr21
Shouldnt you worry more about learning to shift right and get your et's down some?

If it is 120 to do the entire car I would say about 75 to do what you need
Nah i got me last weekend a 12.3 @ 115 with a 1.9 60'

Thanks i might look into the 75
Old 06-26-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive always used fatmat. Had it in my 69 camaro and the noise level almost went away along with most of the vibrations.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Ive always used fatmat. Had it in my 69 camaro and the noise level almost went away along with most of the vibrations.
Definitely Fatmat FTW!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tried to PM but its full:

Howdy Brian (and all),

Its been a long time but I am looking at ordering edead this week and new carpet to tackle redoing my interior in a couple weeks. I still need to redo the leather on my steering wheel and seats to be finished.

I had a couple questions:

1.) How do you like edead still?...has its effect diminished or has it gotten nasty from heat?

2.) How did you remove the glass from the doors to roll the edead into the doorwells?

3.) The plastic pieces that have never been removed (i.e. sail panel, door panels, center console); do they just get removed by plastic clips all around the edges?

Any other tips? I am ordering 100 sq. ft. of edead45 and doubling up in a couple of areas.

Thanks,

-Karl
Old 01-31-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
Tried to PM but its full:

Howdy Brian (and all),

Its been a long time but I am looking at ordering edead this week and new carpet to tackle redoing my interior in a couple weeks. I still need to redo the leather on my steering wheel and seats to be finished.

I had a couple questions:

1.) How do you like edead still?...has its effect diminished or has it gotten nasty from heat?

2.) How did you remove the glass from the doors to roll the edead into the doorwells?

3.) The plastic pieces that have never been removed (i.e. sail panel, door panels, center console); do they just get removed by plastic clips all around the edges?

Any other tips? I am ordering 100 sq. ft. of edead45 and doubling up in a couple of areas.

Thanks,

-Karl
Karl,

I just tackled this project (EXACTLY the same) over the past 3 weeks and I suggest you go with Second Skin's - Damplifier Pro as it is a FARRRR superior product and will hold up much better. I know it's more pricey, but worth it. Also, PM me if you want a suggestion on a good upholstery place here in Houston as I just had a shop do all mine and the door panel inserts in leather for an excellent price and they look killer. Let me know if you need any advise and good luck.

Gig'Em!!!

PS:
I can send u some pics of my seats if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadner Install Pics