Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-28-2016, 06:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Planned Car Stereo Upgrades! *Camaro GT Street*

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M-ManLA
No components in the rear. It is stupid to do realizing that most car receivers output more bass on the rears than in the front. Also think, will I put another center channel speaker on my home theater system to hear the dialog from the back as well?
maybe sonys output more bass on the rears then fronts, but ive never heard of this or seen this and i have been installing for quite some time and yeah ive installed sony stuff before for customers
Old 01-24-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently you didn't read my post. I have already done the sound upgrade on my car. I have replaced the head unit and all of the speakers in my car+some. Through my experience I am trying to help you.

As for never owning a Sony system that is partly true. I have heard a Sony system. My friend had one in his Impala SS, and he eventually ditched the speakers and even the head unit in favor of Kenwood. The disdain of the brand name doesn't end there, most of the enthusiasts (db drag guys) who work in the audiot shops dislike Sony as well.

As far as my Wal-Mart comment-You're comparing apples to oranges. I am merely trying to point out that it says alot about the company when they market to people in a Wal-Mart. They market to people who don't know quality.

You can TUNE up a Sony system to the best of your abilities, but you are still covering up the main problem. Putting lipstick on a pig couldn't be any better of a representation of this. Ultimately the quality of a soundsystem is going to be subjective. Everyone's ears are different. It's your car so as long as you are happy with it then don't listen to anyone else. But don't get mad at us, if you don't want feedback on your system don't post on the flippin' forum. Cheers
Old 01-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
maybe sonys output more bass on the rears then fronts, but ive never heard of this or seen this and i have been installing for quite some time and yeah ive installed sony stuff before for customers
Sony is not the only one that does that. Lots of stereos do! Bass is better if they are facing the rear of the car,because when the waves bounce back from the trunk area, then The energy from the bass will make your system louder that what it really is.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Guys may I mind you that I don't want to hear post like "ditch the Sony speakers" or anything like that. I had Sony's all around without any amps, and I made Sony fans out of people like you guys. I'm sure most of you guys never really owned a Sony set, nor took time to actually tune your system for a month (which is what you are suppose to do), Break in you sub for 20hrs (which most of you guys don't) and get a cap (which you are suppose to do too). If you have nothing to say, then don't say it. Sonys HU has the best possible SNR @120 dBs, and is one of the best systems to date. Sony speakers are made with the same material as some of the others (Poly woofer, reinforced spider, etc). Actually a lot of the manufacturers make material for the others (JL makes Best Buys Insignia subs, and those don't suck). My old car had Sonys in it and in four years of pounding the mess out of them, they never broke, and everyone though I had subs in my car. Remember, don't knock them until you installed and tested them all, which I had, because I never say the other brands like Alpines sux. Please post those somewhere else.
there's no reason to do that, first of all if you play the speaker lightly during a break in period, it will not break in, the suspension has to move for it to break in, make sure its all hooked up correctly then crank it

aaannd no your not, do it the correct way and do the big 3 wiring upgrade and hook up a better or extra battery if need be

there's more that goes into a good speaker than the material of the cone and reinforced spiders

do you have a link that shows jl makes insignia
Old 01-24-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not going to get on here and tell you that sony sucks. I will say that back in the days of Sony Mobile ES they had some good ****. I loved my old sony source unit. It was the MEX-5DI. It was an unbelievable deck. Their speaker line regardless of the Xplod logo or not is just an entry level speaker. If you take all the measures to process your sound, power the speakers, and deaden the car it will probably sound average. And for the remark on JL Audio making Best Buy's Insignia speakers is a total CROCK OF ****. I am a manager at Best Buy and I know that Power Acoustic is the manufacturer of their higher end subwoofer. Put it next to the Power Acoustic FUBAR. SAME ****!!! Not only that but they are shipped from Power Acoustic's warehouse to Best Buy's. If he wants Sony then let him have them. Its not going to hurt anyone on this board to watch someone put sony equipment in his or her vehicle. If he is a sony freak thats probably why he wants only sony in his vehicle. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some like sony and some do not. The problem is that sony is generally referred to as crap in the car audio market these days because most of it is. Not all of it, but most of it. I say go on a sound quality oriented forum such as diymobileaudio.com and post your system setup and see how quick you get laughed and criticized right off of the forum. Denial is a sad thing to watch...
Old 01-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Teching In

(Which the Type-R subs DO sux, YES I SAID IT!).
hows that

Originally Posted by transaman98
I am not going to get on here and tell you that sony sucks. I will say that back in the days of Sony Mobile ES they had some good ****. I loved my old sony source unit. It was the MEX-5DI. It was an unbelievable deck. Their speaker line regardless of the Xplod logo or not is just an entry level speaker. If you take all the measures to process your sound, power the speakers, and deaden the car it will probably sound average. And for the remark on JL Audio making Best Buy's Insignia speakers is a total CROCK OF ****. I am a manager at Best Buy and I know that Power Acoustic is the manufacturer of their higher end subwoofer. Put it next to the Power Acoustic FUBAR. SAME ****!!! Not only that but they are shipped from Power Acoustic's warehouse to Best Buy's. If he wants Sony then let him have them. Its not going to hurt anyone on this board to watch someone put sony equipment in his or her vehicle. If he is a sony freak thats probably why he wants only sony in his vehicle. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some like sony and some do not. The problem is that sony is generally referred to as crap in the car audio market these days because most of it is. Not all of it, but most of it. I say go on a sound quality oriented forum such as diymobileaudio.com and post your system setup and see how quick you get laughed and criticized right off of the forum. Denial is a sad thing to watch...

x2 exactly

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-28-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old 01-24-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

for starters cds will be less quality. maybe better than mp3 players hooked up, but usb, or hdd on the more expensive radios, will surpass. remember size doesnt directly relate to quality and cd quality is bad, granted mp3 isnt that great either. but you can get songs in formats that are MUCH better than cd quality.

also material doesnt mean crap. a gaming computer is made out of the same materials as a cheap one, but they sure as heck are different performance wise. not an apples to apples comparison but the point is saying sony speakers are made of same materials DOES NOT make it just as good. sony speakers suck you can tune all you want they just will not outperform polks, memphis, mb quarts (at least the old ones), etc. if your speakers are blown in your taurus and you want to spend $30 a pair on new ones then sony coaxials arent a bad option but if you want to spend a lot and get a high quality system sony is not the way to go.

the radio should be fine though. button positioning looks a little bad but nothing you wont get used to quickly. but sony quality all around can be very bad now from product to product. thats just a fact. not talking car wise just in general (besides ps3 when compared to the 360 lol). im not sure how durable their radios are but i doubt they are any worse than the rest thats in their price range.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock

As for never owning a Sony system that is partly true. I have heard a Sony system. My friend had one in his Impala SS, and he eventually ditched the speakers and even the head unit in favor of Kenwood. The disdain of the brand name doesn't end there, most of the enthusiasts (db drag guys) who work in the audiot shops dislike Sony as well.

I would say the same too If I made more $$$ off of the other brands. Alpines really cost as much as Sony (around the $35-$50 area), and while they will say it "sound better", they are on commission and they need to make money which I don't blame them for. And I really didn't ask you guys to SAY, my system sucks, I was just showing you guys my layout on the first wave of my Car mods. Actually I wanted to also see everyone's elses stereos.

I meant to say PA lol thanks for the correction. IDK why ppl would say that Sony sucks. Just had a customer that had purchased a Sony system the other day, because he liked the sound. He asked me what will sound better, I said I am personally a Sony fan, but You will have to listen to them yourself and see what you like. He ended up getting all Sony. Another customer got a Sony head and some Infinitys because it was a better setup for him. PPL Dont realize when They said Sony sux, that they haven't tried it yet. It is mental. Mostly all of the Sony heads have the same specs, just more features built in. Just like most other receivers. And the A/D and D/A convertor is usually the same in most amps, and until the Class-T amps become mainstream, then most amps are not too much different. The new Sony amp will do 70wx4 under a 4 ohm load, which is over 280w combined. Most other 4ch amps can't do that. usually around 50w a channel.

Originally Posted by #8sprkplug
hows that
Woofer cone is too stiff, sensitivity is low, you need at least a 500w amp to make it hit hard. I personally think that the Type-E is better (and less customers returning them because they blow, mostly around the surrounds), and the Top of the line Type-X is better.

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
for starters cds will be less quality. maybe better than mp3 players hooked up, but usb, or hdd on the more expensive radios, will surpass. remember size doesnt directly relate to quality and cd quality is bad, granted mp3 isnt that great either. but you can get songs in formats that are MUCH better than cd quality.

also material doesnt mean crap. a gaming computer is made out of the same materials as a cheap one, but they sure as heck are different performance wise. not an apples to apples comparison but the point is saying sony speakers are made of same materials DOES NOT make it just as good. sony speakers suck you can tune all you want they just will not outperform polks, memphis, mb quarts (at least the old ones), etc. if your speakers are blown in your taurus and you want to spend $30 a pair on new ones then sony coaxials arent a bad option but if you want to spend a lot and get a high quality system sony is not the way to go.

the radio should be fine though. button positioning looks a little bad but nothing you wont get used to quickly. but sony quality all around can be very bad now from product to product. thats just a fact. not talking car wise just in general (besides ps3 when compared to the 360 lol). im not sure how durable their radios are but i doubt they are any worse than the rest thats in their price range.
Not sure if you are on dumb pills but read the post up above. And if CD quality suck and you know so much, tell me the sample and resolution on CD compared to MP3s.

Video clip of some Sony subs. Don't sound to bad to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1H65UjsMV4&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asuYc...eature=related

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-28-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old 01-25-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure if you are on dumb pills but read the post up above. And if CD quality suck and you know so much, tell me the sample and resolution on CD compared to MP3s.
like i said mp3s arent that great either. headunits can read more than that though. plus, it also depends on what rates you set to make an mp3, if you are ripping a cd. but again mp3 is not really the best way to go either.

you really need to stop being so uptight about this. you say you didn't ask in the forum to be ridiculed for this setup. but WHY DID YOU MAKE THIS THREAD? I see no question. All you are trying to do is show it off, so of course as with anything, no matter how good, you are going to get some negative feedback (or help) with how it could be better. of course since this really isnt a very good setup compared to most showed off online and you are are using cheap products. Forums are made to save people money and help them make decisions, not show off.

however i do agree on the audio shop convincing people to buy a certain brand. especially with headunits. but there IS a reason they don't like sony products. they arent as good quality, thats a fact. Most people on here, like myself, have heard them before. Even with a good amp, and they do not sound very good.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol thats funny as crap. they are only going to sound as good as the recorder's mic and people's pc speaker allow haha. you have to hear speakers in person you idiot. stock woofers will sound the same on youtube.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IMHO Infinity > Sony
Old 01-25-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

lol thats funny as crap. they are only going to sound as good as the recorder's mic and people's pc speaker allow haha. you have to hear speakers in person you idiot. stock woofers will sound the same on youtube.
That is what I was going to say but maybe not so meanly, lol.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Launching!

like i said mp3s arent that great either. headunits can read more than that though. plus, it also depends on what rates you set to make an mp3, if you are ripping a cd. but again mp3 is not really the best way to go either.

you really need to stop being so uptight about this. you say you didn't ask in the forum to be ridiculed for this setup. but WHY DID YOU MAKE THIS THREAD? I see no question. All you are trying to do is show it off, so of course as with anything, no matter how good, you are going to get some negative feedback (or help) with how it could be better. of course since this really isnt a very good setup compared to most showed off online and you are are using cheap products. Forums are made to save people money and help them make decisions, not show off.

however i do agree on the audio shop convincing people to buy a certain brand. especially with headunits. but there IS a reason they don't like sony products. they arent as good quality, thats a fact. Most people on here, like myself, have heard them before. Even with a good amp, and they do not sound very good.
Yea but you haven't answered my question while half of you guys saying it sucks. What sucks about them? They are just another speaker. Good speakers. I never said they were the best. But they are good for the bang of the buck, and I will STILL defend them because they sound warm, don't exagerate the high end, and are good for midbass. What makes any other system superior to these? "I heard them" is just like saying I've seen new brakes on the car, but I don't know if he bleed the system. Like I said, I have made fans off of the Sony systems, and even had ppl asked me to install their system, Sony or not. So I'll say this one more time, No more saying Sony sucks because maybe that is an reflection that you might have some type of ego problem with yourself.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

show me one bit of evidence that rear preouts have more bass then fronts because this is the biggest load of garbage i have ever heard
Old 01-25-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

show me one bit of evidence that rear preouts have more bass then fronts because this is the biggest load of garbage i have ever heard
I would understand this statement if your deck had pre-outs that were designed specifically for subwoofers like they are on my excelon HU, otherwise the other two sets of preouts on my HU should be the exact same. I'm going to agree with penta on this one.

I was going to say the fact that you could even hear the bass is a testament to how crappy they are. Ever seen videos of a W7, or an Fi sub flexing? Complete distortion.

On a side note- Steve Meade is my hero http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNx9HJJR_Ys

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-28-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Try adjusting your Fade!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know its not eh best in the world but here is what ive got.

Source: RFX-8250 (The pic is before I had 3Sixty.2, so I had some Kenwood 1/2 din eq that I tossed in for the meantime as the unit has no on board processing or amplification.) The unit is made by Denon for Rockford Fosgate. I don't even think they make them anymore.
Front Stage: Excelon 25th Anniversary XXV-04S 7" Components
Rear Fill: Kappa Perfect 635i 6.5" 3-Way(got em for free! oh yea!)
Subwoofer: None Anymore. But used to have a Fosgate P3D410
Processor: Rockford 3Sixty.2 31 band independent Front L/R EQ, 27 band independent Rear L/R EQ 31 Band Center EQ, 10 Band Sub EQ, Adjustable Time Delay, Active Crossover adjustment 12/24 dB/Octave and its all adjustable through my Cellphone! Gangsta.
Sub Amp: Fosgate P1000-1BD
Interior Amp: Fosgate P400-4
Sound Deadening: 3x Rolls of Rammat (62.5 sq ft per roll), 6 Yards of Ensolite, and a few patches of dynaxorb.
It needs a sub and some different fronts but those kenwood drivers POUND!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Launching!

I know its not eh best in the world but here is what ive got.

Source: RFX-8250 (The pic is before I had 3Sixty.2, so I had some Kenwood 1/2 din eq that I tossed in for the meantime as the unit has no on board processing or amplification.) The unit is made by Denon for Rockford Fosgate. I don't even think they make them anymore.
Front Stage: Excelon 25th Anniversary XXV-04S 7" Components
Rear Fill: Kappa Perfect 635i 6.5" 3-Way(got em for free! oh yea!)
Subwoofer: None Anymore. But used to have a Fosgate P3D410
Processor: Rockford 3Sixty.2 31 band independent Front L/R EQ, 27 band independent Rear L/R EQ 31 Band Center EQ, 10 Band Sub EQ, Adjustable Time Delay, Active Crossover adjustment 12/24 dB/Octave and its all adjustable through my Cellphone! Gangsta.
Sub Amp: Fosgate P1000-1BD
Interior Amp: Fosgate P400-4
Sound Deadening: 3x Rolls of Rammat (62.5 sq ft per roll), 6 Yards of Ensolite, and a few patches of dynaxorb.
It needs a sub and some different fronts but those kenwood drivers POUND!
First off, thanx for keeping on the subject transaman. Looks like you have a good set up. Are you planning to buy a new sub? Keep me updated.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
On a side note- Steve Meade is my hero http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNx9HJJR_Ys
No did you see the vids where the chicks hair was flying. Man that is TOO much SPL.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Teching In

well not only did i install my type r's i also did my own big 3. i have heard a few sony systems, one on a 2000 watt amp and i can tell you that they were alot more shitty than my type r's. neither could handle low notes really good and the overall SQ was not what i would want. even the higher end sony stuff isnt really worth it when you could spend your money to get something alot better. it sounds like you have your mind made up already so as long as you are happy with it thats all that matters.......until someone is louder at a stop light lol.

FWIW heres my type r's on a 1500 watt amp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpSdIzwfwc8

Last edited by 99NBMZ28; 01-26-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Planned Car Stereo Upgrades! *Camaro GT Street*