Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-28-2016, 06:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Planned Car Stereo Upgrades! *Camaro GT Street*

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HWI
I've got an older Clarion deck, wanting to replace, but not sure with what.

Sub: 1 - 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC

Amps: Rockford Fosgate Punch 500w(for the sub)
Alpine MRP-F300 74w x 4(for speakers)

Speakers: Focal 165 A1 Components
Focal 165 CA1

I've got a 1 Farad capacitor too, can't remember brand though.

I'm running an Optima red top battery, but I think I need a beefier alternator or something cause sometimes my volts drop a little low on the gauge in my dash. I've got my sub in a stealth enclosure in the hatch and my amps and capacitor on the deck behind the back seats, can't put em in the hatch cause it's a t-tops car. I'm getting rear seat deletes when I get all moved to HI, then I'll prolly move the amps and capacitor to where the back seats used to be.
Ditch the capacitor they are worthless. Remember is 85% installation 15% equipment. Btw all the sony's I ever had where crap. The amps never put out the watt ratings that sony claimed. Stereos where ok, speakers no way, sub's maybe if I planned on sending them 250 watts or less. I say look into Image Dynamics to get your money's worth.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HWI
Finally got to Hawaii and picked up my car, here's a pic of the sub enclosure and the location of my amps and capacitor. Nothing special, but it gets the job done, still thinking about picking up rear seat deletes and rearranging. My components are under the stock grills, so nothing to show there.

u need some cleaning up to do.
hide those wires and paint the stealth.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:53 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fspeedster
Ditch the capacitor they are worthless. Remember is 85% installation 15% equipment. Btw all the sony's I ever had where crap. The amps never put out the watt ratings that sony claimed. Stereos where ok, speakers no way, sub's maybe if I planned on sending them 250 watts or less. I say look into Image Dynamics to get your money's worth.
I think no amp does it suggested wattage. Just think, AB amps are 45% efficient, while the Class D is 85-90% efficient. The rest turns into heat.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HWI
Finally got to Hawaii and picked up my car, here's a pic of the sub enclosure and the location of my amps and capacitor. Nothing special, but it gets the job done, still thinking about picking up rear seat deletes and rearranging. My components are under the stock grills, so nothing to show there.

That is cool man. Keep that Cap. Done an install where the lights dimmed. Installed the cap and lights didn't dim any more. If you have a good cap, it will help out a little when your system start hitting peak notes. I do agree with Engine_HP. You should paint or put carpet on the stealthbox for a more finished look. As for the amps, you should research an amp rack. The reason I will get one is because it is located on the opposite side of your tail lamps, and you can use the flap to cover them for a complete stealth look. But otherwise good job man.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:26 AM
Launching!

Ok Guys. I am about to get "Bitten". Will post pics as soon as I receive the product.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I'm trying to decide between the subthump amp rack or getting rear seat deletes and putting them under that.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Go with BOSTON Speakers. I have them amped. its like...OMG it sounds so good....never gone back. I went through sony speakers, Polk speakers, and another set of sony. sony speakers are crap. BOSTON is where you want to go for.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M-ManLA
I think no amp does it suggested wattage. Just think, AB amps are 45% efficient, while the Class D is 85-90% efficient. The rest turns into heat.
No, quality amps put out more watts than they are rated at.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 AM
Launching!

Ok. Tell me how is that. And while you're at it, how much of that power does the average person uses?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

not many. thats like looking at our cars and saying fast cars have more crank horsepower than rated while normal cars have less than rated. no our models just happen to have more. a few good amps put out more, most dont. but yeah the cheaper brand ones are often rated at 1ohm etc to try to make it seem like it has more. doesnt matter, because they are still usually cheaper to put the same rms to your speakers than the "quality" brands. and most dont have any more distortion or interference.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M-ManLA
Ok. Tell me how is that. And while you're at it, how much of that power does the average person uses?
My old school EARTHQUAKE amp witch is rated at 169 watts rms is highly under rated i say it's closer to 350 or so, my US AMPS 25hc is rated at 25 x 2 at 4 ohms, bridged this thing puts out about 400 watts rms. Like I said when it comes to amps there is a deference, quality amps will ALWAYS put out more than they are rated at. That's why old amp's are so sought after, brands like ORION, US AMPS, LINEAR POWER, PPI, ROCKFORD FOSGATE, AUTOTEK, etc. will put out way more power than they are rated at, some will do 5x what they are rated at, pretty much all the newer stuff is junk with the exception of a couple. Do some research so you can get your moneys worth.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Launching!

My old school EARTHQUAKE amp witch is rated at 169 watts rms is highly under rated i say it's closer to 350 or so, my US AMPS 25hc is rated at 25 x 2 at 4 ohms, bridged this thing puts out about 400 watts rms. Like I said when it comes to amps there is a deference, quality amps will ALWAYS put out more than they are rated at. That's why old amp's are so sought after, brands like ORION, US AMPS, LINEAR POWER, PPI, ROCKFORD FOSGATE, AUTOTEK, etc. will put out way more power than they are rated at, some will do 5x what they are rated at, pretty much all the newer stuff is junk with the exception of a couple. Do some research so you can get your moneys worth.
But how do you rate the power? Do you measure the output from the Speakers' perspective? It just can't just "Sound" more powerful because that just means that the way the car is made, waves is bouncing and reflecting off the interior of the car, which in change might have more energy bounce off, thus, making it sound louder. Most people won't even hit 1/3 of the amps total wattage, for the simple fact you will start hitting the limits of being "DEAF" from the hearing threshold. This is why they have the CEA because they have a standard for rating power so you can get an "accurate" RMS rating.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Quite a few amps are underrated. I think you guys saying otherwise need to lurk around this board a bit more before posting. Or, even better, check out some of the dedicated car audio forums. They are always going to be the best sources for general car audio information, whereas boards like this are better for car-specific stuff like installation, etc.

Quick Reply: Planned Car Stereo Upgrades! *Camaro GT Street*