Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with just tossing in any old speaker that fits in the speaker opening is.......these systems use all different impedance speakers and components. If you want to know more about these systems, it's worth looking at the sticky and learning a bit about this, before buying some cheap speakers and putting them in. You might be VERY disappointed at the sound if you do.

Now.....if you bypass the stock wiring and amp, and run speaker wires from your new HU to any old speakers you install, it might work out for you.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

To clarify... the replacement speaker sets that Kee Audio sells are designed to work with the wiring from the stock Monsoon amp. These speakers have been researched and tested and include some unusual combinations such as 6.5" dual voice coil subs for the sail panels and coaxially mounted component speakers for Camaro doors. Anybody from an audio store (or even a neighbor from down the street) that tells you they can do the same thing with Pioneer, Infinity, or whatever other brand is an idiot who doesn't understand how Monsoon systems work. Similarly, don't let them convince you that the only way to upgrade a Monsoon system is to replace everything - if you buy the right items, you can replace (or keep) anything in a Monsoon system except the amp without rewiring.

Changing the head unit has no effect on the speaker configuration. It doesn't matter whether you have the factory HU or you've installed an aftermarket one... as long as you're using the Monsoon amp, the speaker configuration won't change.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, I think Ill go with key audio based primarily on the reviews Ive read here. I appreciate everyone's input

Except for Robert, who is an *******.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by nemss1
kee audio makes a kit matched to our cars sound system

I called Kee Audio and talked to Ian he promised to call me back but hasnt even bothered. Im sitting here with money in my wallet and its burning me! I wanted a setup from him with a double din bezel but couldnt get a hold of him so I decided to go with the jvc 5.4inch sceen and got a jl stealthbox for cheap. wonder if a cdt 10 sub will go in there ok. Also bought a jl 500/1. also still need components and wanted to see what Ian would recommend and give me prices. but I guess I might as well match the 4 channel amp with a jl 300/4 since I got the 500/1. So what do you guys recommend as far as components? should I just uprade my 4 stock speakers? or should I get a set? If I get a set will I need different amp other than a 300/4? Give me some choses! I got a 97 camaro ss coupe. THANKS
Old 04-03-2009, 02:31 PM

hey Anyone know where to get a deal on a jvc 5.4 screen kameleon? and good components? and what you recommend for components?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have a writeup for installing these? I got the package here but no instructions.