Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

*1800watt System install**PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99monguse
What is causing our factory speakers to crap out? I have already replaced my door speakers and now the rt sail panel speaker doesn't work at all! Hell the car only have 28k on it...its a 1999 Coupe SS
Several things happened with the audio system in these cars.
First of all the Monsoon HU is a distortion box. At high moderate volume it really starts to distort the sound and is not very good. Most Delco stuff has never been very good anyway. It then sends this signal to the Monsoon amp. So now your amplifying a distorted signal and making it louder. Next in our chain of events is the speakers. Copper coils (which can be alright at larger diameters), flimsy paper cone, really crappy foam surround. I've seen cars with as little as 8000 miles with no foam left on the speaker. Just a cone floating in the center just waiting to blow a voice coil. It just deteriorates to nothing over time....not miles. So you send this distorted signal to a crappy speaker. Of course it blows up. At least with a cleaner signal the speaker would have a chance. But it is a chain of weak links that makes the Monsoon system fail.
The bottom line is that the focus on these cars was performance. Not audio. Which I'm guessing is why almost EVERYBODY buys an F-body in the first place. My personal car (1998 T/A) has a bunch of performance mods ie: cam, headers, exaust, gears, stall, etc. I like to go fast just like anyone with these cars. That's why we bought them. I also gotta have my tunes though. I have played guitar for 25 years and I love my music.
On another note...ebay has stock speakers that advertise a "new design". Please do not be fooled by this. Delco did not go out and make new improved speakers for your car that is not made anymore. I've seen these in person and can report that they are the same exact speakers they were before and will perform in exactly the same way. Work and sound ok for awhile and then blow again. Even most cheap brand speaker is an improvement over the stock stuff in materials and power handling capabilities. It's just being able to find stuff that works with the stock layout that can become a bit of a task.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Several things happened with the audio system in these cars.
First of all the Monsoon HU is a distortion box. At high moderate volume it really starts to distort the sound and is not very good. Most Delco stuff has never been very good anyway. It then sends this signal to the Monsoon amp. So now your amplifying a distorted signal and making it louder. Next in our chain of events is the speakers. Copper coils (which can be alright at larger diameters), flimsy paper cone, really crappy foam surround. I've seen cars with as little as 8000 miles with no foam left on the speaker. Just a cone floating in the center just waiting to blow a voice coil. It just deteriorates to nothing over time....not miles. So you send this distorted signal to a crappy speaker. Of course it blows up. At least with a cleaner signal the speaker would have a chance. But it is a chain of weak links that makes the Monsoon system fail.
The bottom line is that the focus on these cars was performance. Not audio. Which I'm guessing is why almost EVERYBODY buys an F-body in the first place. My personal car (1998 T/A) has a bunch of performance mods ie: cam, headers, exaust, gears, stall, etc. I like to go fast just like anyone with these cars. That's why we bought them. I also gotta have my tunes though. I have played guitar for 25 years and I love my music.
On another note...ebay has stock speakers that advertise a "new design". Please do not be fooled by this. Delco did not go out and make new improved speakers for your car that is not made anymore. I've seen these in person and can report that they are the same exact speakers they were before and will perform in exactly the same way. Work and sound ok for awhile and then blow again. Even most cheap brand speaker is an improvement over the stock stuff in materials and power handling capabilities. It's just being able to find stuff that works with the stock layout that can become a bit of a task.
I want to completely redo my system. Nothing fancy... not even looking to add a sub. Just replace the HU and stock speakers. I miss the way it sounded when I first got the car.

I see you're in Marietta, GA and have an audio shop... Hmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Banned

Replacing the HU and speakers definetely helps alot since those are the 2 weakest links in the audio chain. Most are very happy with those upgrades/results and the addition of a 10" stealth sub setup to roundout the lows.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Replacing the HU and speakers definetely helps alot since those are the 2 weakest links in the audio chain. Most are very happy with those upgrades/results and the addition of a 10" stealth sub setup to roundout the lows.
Any recommendations as far as the HU & speakers go? I've always been a fan of Pioneer.... I also want something clean... not some big, bulky HU.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

thinking about getting the headunit mount. does the light turn on from it's own switch, when the radio is on, or when the lights turn on?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
Any recommendations as far as the HU & speakers go? I've always been a fan of Pioneer.... I also want something clean... not some big, bulky HU.
Higher end Pioneer products I like but the lessor ones seem a bit overprocessed to me. They are ok though and are still good quality. I also like the new JVC stuff. Good sound and lots of multimedia. Clarion has more natural sound then the other 2 but I don't like the looks as much. The JVC can match any interior illumination also which is kind of cool.
Speakers...standard package I have would work well.

Quick Reply: *1800watt System install**PICS*