Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio Problem (buzzing)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009 | 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Question Radio Problem (buzzing)

So I get my car out of storage over the weekend, change all the fluids, and start her up. Then, I hear an annoying buzz coming from my radio. It increases in pitch the higher the RPMs go. I did some trouble shooting, and I have found that the sound goes away when I unplug my RCA cables that go to my amplifier. After brainstorming I think it could possibly be a bad ground. I took the alternator out, had it tested, and it passed. I then checked all of my wiring behind the dash and the ground to the main harness is fine. Then, I bought a ground loop isolator and installed that. When the isolator was installed, the hum went away, but the subwoofers didn't produce any sound... So now I am out of ideas... Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

-James
Old 03-23-2009 | 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

by chance do you have a pioneer head unit?
Old 03-24-2009 | 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95TAJade
by chance do you have a pioneer head unit?
I do, it is an Avic-N2. I heard that there is something internal that could go wrong with it that causes interference....Is that true?
Old 03-24-2009 | 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Try taking some extra wire and ground the rca to the radio's chassis. Just the outer part of the RCA though. For some strange reason or another, Pioneer's have a tendency to have weak RCA pre-outs from their decks.
Old 03-25-2009 | 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

my alpine had this problem when i first got my car. the connections to the radio were done right, and had been soldered but were causing the buzzing noise. i wrapped the connections together with some electrical tape and that elminitated the buzizng noise that was being produced. (the connections were already wrapped individually with electrical tape, i just wrapped the electrical tape around the lines to keep them all together)

however i have also heard pioneers have problems with the rca outputs