Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Results/lesson learned Sound damping

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Results/lesson learned Sound damping

Just finished installing some sound deadening while doing other mods over the weekend. I'm really happy with the results. The exhaust drone( the part I don't like from my GMMG exhaust and road noise were reduced. The stereo sounds better as well.
1. I used the paint on stuff inside the doors. It made it real easy to get even coverage inside where I couldn't reach for mat. I only got the floor and sides done from the flat area behing the rear seat to the trunk. I used 44 sq ft. and less than 2 ft in the garbage from scraps! I bouhg t50 sq ft of Edead 800 thinking I could do the whole floor. Surprise, ordered 40 more sq ft today. Tough on the back and took approximately 10 hours to do. I think the mat helps the panels not vibrate as well.
ed
I included the 3.50 cent brush from harbor freight, it about 12" long and bent. It made doing the inside doors much easier. The paint on stuff combined with the mat would have been better but I only had 1 quart to do the inside of the doors. Using it in the back in the corners would have been faster.
ed
Attached Thumbnails Results/lesson learned Sound damping-angled-brush.jpg   Results/lesson learned Sound damping-before-edead.jpg   Results/lesson learned Sound damping-speaker-mounted-after-edead.jpg   Results/lesson learned Sound damping-edead45-door.jpg   Results/lesson learned Sound damping-edead-paint-inside-door2.jpg  

Results/lesson learned Sound damping-edead-paint-inside-door3.jpg   Results/lesson learned Sound damping-edead-paint-inside-door.jpg   Results/lesson learned Sound damping-inside-rear-panels-edead.jpg   Results/lesson learned Sound damping-trunk-edead80.jpg   Results/lesson learned Sound damping-cd-storage-edead80.jpg  

Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lookin good

Just curious how much you have invested in the sound deadener and how much weight you think you may have added to the car. I just picked up another f-bod and planning to go all out but will have to take baby steps. Looking good tho. I am a firm believer in sound done right and not some rattle crap going on. The sound deadener will increase your db's just a little too.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Just FYI to poster, I decided to go with the RAAMmat brand. I ordered:

RAAMmat BXT™ 109.16sqft 2 rolls 218.32
Ensolite™ MLC 11.96yds 3 rolls 35.88
V&S Spray Adhesive 7.66 2 cans 15.32
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub Total $269.52
Shipping: UPS Ground $31.77
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Total $301.29

Shipped weight was 55 lbs with backing and adhesive. I chose the RAAMmat over eDead based upon product reviews and weight savings.

I should be able to do the entire car and double-up in alot of areas.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NAZTLT1
Just curious how much you have invested in the sound deadener and how much weight you think you may have added to the car. I just picked up another f-bod and planning to go all out but will have to take baby steps. Looking good tho. I am a firm believer in sound done right and not some rattle crap going on. The sound deadener will increase your db's just a little too.

Probably $280.00 and 100 lbs. I did it for the daily drive 120 miles a day! I have a GMMG exhaust I love but it drones at part throttle. I want performance and refinement. So for the few minutes of racing the car will see vs the 1000's of road hours I will get more out of the deadening than loss for weight. I could stand to loss 60 lbs myself! Plus the cost has to be considered with how through your are installing it. I have only ever used edead, but if the ram stuff needs adhesive forget it. The self sticky stuff was pain enough by itself.
Ed
Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
Probably $280.00 and 100 lbs. I did it for the daily drive 120 miles a day! I have a GMMG exhaust I love but it drones at part throttle. I want performance and refinement. So for the few minutes of racing the car will see vs the 1000's of road hours I will get more out of the deadening than loss for weight. I could stand to loss 60 lbs myself! Plus the cost has to be considered with how through your are installing it. I have only ever used edead, but if the ram stuff needs adhesive forget it. The self sticky stuff was pain enough by itself.
Ed
I hear ya there and totally agree. I recently had owned a Acura tl and fell in love with the build quality and handling and lack of rattles an so on but the car just didnt have any ***** whatsoever. So I am back in a Fbody and plan to take my time and do it up right. I am willing to take on a little weight for the sake of improving things a bit. Besides it just gives me an excuse to build more power to compensate for the weight.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Oops I should clarify, the actual RAAMmat does have a self-adhesive backing to it. They even mention on their website that you don't even need a roller to apply it (We shall see...)
The adhesive is for the Ensolite which is a foam type product to go over the RAAMmat. Spray on, Stick on.