Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Easiest place to route power wire for amp through firewall area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Easiest place to route power wire for amp through firewall area?

I've been dicking around outside looking at a easy place that I wont have to drill for the last half hour, so far I've concluded to run the power wire off the positive terminal on the fuse block on the driver side then route it through the dash somewhere through the plastic cover that has the wires with the rubber gromment on it up top but I can't find where this leads to without taking apart my dash...
Is there an easier passage that I'm not seeing?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

passenger side fire wall, direct to the battery.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

behind the computer, thats where mine is, theres some wires going through the firewall there anyway and its already grommeted. when you pull the computer out youll see it
Old 03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you! Done! That computer is a pain in the nut sack to get back in the clips once its out though, I really manhandled some of those wires, I hope my car starts now lol
Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

glad we could help, yea i prlly should have warned you about putting it back in hahah
Old 03-25-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

out of curiosity anyone have a pic? im gonna do this in the summer and i was looking but didnt see a place. is the computer behind the glove box?

oh and just a note running an amp off the fuse box is BAD. but you should have a fuse in the wire right next to battery. not saying u didnt with the fuse but anyone reading this thread should see the point that you cant run off the box and you use a separate fuse.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the actual PCM is in the engine compartment, passenger side, tucked underneath the cowl. you can't miss it.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
out of curiosity anyone have a pic? im gonna do this in the summer and i was looking but didnt see a place. is the computer behind the glove box?
Here's a link to a recent thread, the last post has a link with pics.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ery-trunk.html
Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ awesome thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

I had that routing on my last car and it was a pain in the butt when I wanted to pull the wiring out on the engine harness (and then you still have a big power line running over the tower). this time around, I took the wheel well cover off and routed the wire underneath and drilled a hole into the car right below the area where the PCM wires go through (but inside the wheel well instead). Wire is routed from the battery into and over the fender and into the firewall. This way, when I finally get around to doing the wire mod, everything is out of site.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mean Green z28
I had that routing on my last car and it was a pain in the butt when I wanted to pull the wiring out on the engine harness (and then you still have a big power line running over the tower). this time around, I took the wheel well cover off and routed the wire underneath and drilled a hole into the car right below the area where the PCM wires go through (but inside the wheel well instead). Wire is routed from the battery into and over the fender and into the firewall. This way, when I finally get around to doing the wire mod, everything is out of site.
Good Idea, I might check this out when I do mine, thanks!

Quick Reply: Easiest place to route power wire for amp through firewall area?