Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Keyless entry remote cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry remote cleaning

I tried searching for this problem I have and couldn't find much. I seem to have to open up the remote for my 97 Trans Am and clean the board regularly. After a week or so, the remote doesn't respond well, I have to push and hold one of the buttons for a few seconds to get it to work. Once I open it, and clean the contacts on the main board, it works great again with just a momentary push of a button. But, a few days later, it's sluggish in responding again.

The other thing I noticed....the lettering has worn off the buttons very quickly. I bought this remote off eBay 2 years ago, and it looked like new.

I've never had either of these problems with any other GM car I've had with keyless remote. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Should I just get another remote? Or is this same thing likely to happen to another remote?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem. That black crud from the button contact was rubbing off on the board contacts. I got a new one from GM and it's worked perfect for a year now. Just don't let the dealer try to charge you for programming it, it's easy.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I had the same problem. That black crud from the button contact was rubbing off on the board contacts. I got a new one from GM and it's worked perfect for a year now. Just don't let the dealer try to charge you for programming it, it's easy.
How much was a new one from the dealer? I am hesitant to buy another eBay remote.....I can't help wonder if they are cheap copies....of it they put inferior replacement button pads in them...or something?!?!

Yeah, programming them is shockingly easy.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

i seriously doubt this is gm's doing. could be wrong though. mine both worth fine and one looks like its original. no need to clean them though.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
i seriously doubt this is gm's doing. could be wrong though. mine both worth fine and one looks like its original. no need to clean them though.
Right....the wife's 98 Pontiac minivan remotes worked perfect right up until we sold it last month....never had to take them apart and clean them, and the buttons still had the graphics printed on them.

Even the alarm graphic has worn off the red button on my remote....and I've never pushed that button.

Something seems fishy.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine isn't off ebay but it is an original. i have to take it apart every now and then to clean the black stuff out. make sure you get it all out. on the terminals and on the back of the rubber button. also check to see if there is a hole in the button. moisture might be seaping through
Old 03-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Launching!

The rubber bumper cover is intact, no holes. The black on the back of the buttons is definitely coming off onto the board contacts. I clean them both with a pencil eraser. If I touch the black buttons I get black all over my finger.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

what if you coated them? so the black doesnt come off? or try using a rubbing compound and get it all off.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the black residue is from moisture getting inside the remote and deteriorating the black conductor pad on the button, leaving it behind on the board contacts and causing intermittent issues.

It was a while ago, but I think it was like $70 new from the dealer. It's not cheap, but I was so happy when I didn't have to hold the remote buttons down forever just to get the doors to unlock.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just used a paper towel. first a wet one to loosen up the black stuff on the back of the rubber button. then use several dry paper towels and really mash hard until you get ALL of the dirt out. then it should work within one or two clicks to unlock the doors
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the responses.....I just received a brand new remote from eBay.....I'll see how it works before going to the dealer for a new one.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

let me know how it works. i'd like to know how good they are
Old 04-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dabest09
let me know how it works. i'd like to know how good they are
The one I just got from ebay is in fact new, but seems to be an aftermarket remote. No GM numbers (or any other numbers on the back), and it has a slightly 'cheaper' feel to it than the factory remote. However.....it works GREAT. Just a light tap of a button is all that is required.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much did it cost ya?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dabest09
how much did it cost ya?
$26.95 with $4.95 shipping. I'd post a link here, but don't want to step on any sponsor toes.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i understand. that's not too bad of a deal. might go up on it

Quick Reply: Keyless entry remote cleaning