Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How do I?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I?

Get the connector I took off of my stock sail panel speaker to attach to my new CDT CL-6 mid woofers? Im an audio newb, and it dosn't seem to slide on like it did with the stock speaker?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

You usually just cut off the stock plug and strip the wires. What kind of connectors does the your new speakers have? Are they spade connectors? If so just cut the stock plug off and get some female spade ends and crimp them on.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, that's what I'd do. You can leave a little bit on the stock connector and put the other end (tab) crimp connectors back for if you want to put your stock speakers back (e.g. to sell the car). For the female (car) side, use insulated terminals, so that if you do in fact put the stock connector back, they won't short out.

For wire colors, see the stickies at the top of the section.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

They are spade ends on the new speaker. Problem is the connecter on my old speaker connected directly to the speaker and there are none of these mysterious wires coming out of it, and it will not connect directly to my new speaker. So if I understand right my only choice is to cut the connector completly off the wire in my car that runs to the HU and crimp on these ends that im probly going to get at radioshack and instead of the connector connecting to the speaker, the wire will now slide driectly on to these "spades" on my new speaker with the new connectors i've spliced onto the wires.

Does this sound right or am I missing somthing? Just want to make sure I do it right and that there is not a better way. I allready know which wires are positve and negative Ive just had problems trying to figure out exactly how to connect those wires to the speaker, and if what I said above was right then I think I can get to hooking these bad boys up and seeing how they sound.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

That's correct. Just leave a little extra on the old connector so you can connect it back up later, unless you're sure you will never put the old speakers back in.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

whatever you do DONT JUST PUSH THE WIRE THROUGH THE HOLE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SPADE AND TWIST IT. you will hate yourself everytime you hit a bump
Old 05-20-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by greezy
whatever you do DONT JUST PUSH THE WIRE THROUGH THE HOLE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SPADE AND TWIST IT. you will hate yourself everytime you hit a bump
That hole is for soldering, for those who feel so inclined.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Ok thanks everyone I think ive got it figured out, but to dragonrage, i was wondering about the part in your sig that says need sail panel speakers to see this, but there is no link?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Here is what Ian Kee had to say.

In your case you will have to solder some speaker wire onto the old connector where the solder already was connecting the other wires. Where the wires from the old speaker connect onto the connector you should see some solder on either side. You should then be able to use a small lnegth of speaker wire to solder onto that connector and then you can just use crimp on coonectors for the other end to slide onto the CDT speaker. If you left enough wire from the old speaker attached to the connector you may be able to use butt connectors or crimp connectors to attach the speaker wire as well. Solder would be the best option though.
For the record it is normally alot easier to do this. For some reason your car seems to have the older style speakers in there. Normally their is a length of speaker wire coming from the speaker that has the connector hanging on the end. This makes installation much easier.
-Ian

When I get all the speakers in from his premium replacment pack hooked up, I will post a review on here of them.