Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Running alpine Type R coax on monsoon amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running alpine Type R coax on monsoon amp?

I have some alpine type-r coaxial speakers. Just changed my headunit, i know there is a change in resistance. Btw, anyone know how well they will work?

Ok my main question. I realize there is a separate channel for the tweater. Does the mid channel in the doors have the high frequencies or will I be missing them by not using the tweeter channel?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
I have some alpine type-r coaxial speakers. Just changed my headunit, i know there is a change in resistance. Btw, anyone know how well they will work?
No there isn't any change in impedance from changing head units. The HU doesn't connect directly to any speakers (except the tweeters in a Firebird which are 4-ohm anyway). The original Monsoon HU is designed for 4-ohm speakers and won't work with lower impedance (i.e. never connect the head unit directly to any of the 2-ohm Monsoon speakers).

Yes your Alpine coaxials will work although you will be giving up power by only using one of the two channels in each door. The best way to handle that is to modify the coaxials so that they work like components. Cut the fine wires that go from the speaker terminals to the tweeter and then connect the car's tweeter wires to those cut wires and the car's mid wires to the speaker terminals.

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Ok my main question. I realize there is a separate channel for the tweater. Does the mid channel in the doors have the high frequencies or will I be missing them by not using the tweeter channel?
The door mid channels are full-range signal. The tweeter wires are high pass filtered.