Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alpine CDA 9886 Installation Question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alpine CDA 9886 Installation Question!

I almost bought this headunit from crutchfield when a warning popped up saying "Extension kit -- when installed, the radio will protrude from the dash by 1/2". " Does this mean that the H/U will stick out 1/2 inch no matter what? I bought the METRA kit from best buy because I was told that it would allow the H/U to sit flush with the dash. Im a noob when it comes to stereo equipment so any help would be awesome!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is the same size as my IDA-X200.
I had to bend down the metal bracket that supports
the back of the monsoon HU (no need to cut it),
and with the Metra kit I had to use 90° RCA ends because straight end prevented
the HU from fitting in the dash.

It will still be a tight fit if you use the pre-outs.
I also milled the square ring spacer by half so the face stuck out of the dash a little.
You can see the difference between the Metra and Scosche kits here Post#9
Old 06-06-2009, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome.. Thanks man!
Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my 9886 for a year and a half now (GREAT head unit)...along with the PXA-H100 and KTX-H100 processor add ons that I just recently did. Mine sits 100% flush with the dash, no sticking out at all...I did have to bend that metal tab down, but that was it...now that it's installed in there with the PXA-H100, it does take me a bit of finagling with all the wires to get the whole setup back into the dash if I have it out...but it's not so bad...for me, my RCA's are all plugged into the external processor...if I had to plug them into the head unit, I'd definitely need 90 degree ends for them as was mentioned.

The PXA-H100 REALLY REALLY makes the 9886 worth it. Get it installed and using it for a while...then spring for the processor...even if you don't EQ it with the Alpine Mic, it gives you SO MUCH more control over a lot of things you'd otherwise have no control over. Makes the EQ much more powerful, adds time correction...much better crossover settings...