Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

10 inch sub

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Yes, you do.

Fi Q10 is good for a small box.

Avoid the hell out of Alpine, Pioneer, Kicker, RF, MTX, and basically any other sub you can buy at Best Buy.
My two kicker CVR's take a beating like no other! I've had them for 4 years playing music at almost if not at max volume! Have them in my 99escalde people could hear me from a block away! I don't know how my hearing is still good, kicker is name brand I don't see why just because you can buy it at bestbuy that would make them shitty!!!

I've been thinking of getting a 10 for my car also... But I don't I have Money for it
Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

kicker comp vr
Old 06-21-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
My two kicker CVR's take a beating like no other! I've had them for 4 years playing music at almost if not at max volume! Have them in my 99escalde people could hear me from a block away! I don't know how my hearing is still good, kicker is name brand I don't see why just because you can buy it at bestbuy that would make them shitty!!
I don't care how much you like your Kickers. They are crap, with an outdated motor, crap for excursion, and worst of all, crap for sound quality. You guys need to stop saying "my subwoofers get loud so they are good" because that is not even close to all there is in a subwoofer (or any driver).
Old 06-22-2009, 02:31 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I'm no technical expert on speakers or anything, but I've been running a 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC(I don't think they even make this model anymore) and it sounds good and hits pretty hard. I listen to metal, so I need a sub that doesn't make double bass sound all garbled, the RF Punch XLC has been delivering for me for well over a year.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HWI
I'm no technical expert on speakers or anything, but I've been running a 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC(I don't think they even make this model anymore) and it sounds good and hits pretty hard. I listen to metal, so I need a sub that doesn't make double bass sound all garbled, the RF Punch XLC has been delivering for me for well over a year.
This would be like someone telling you that they're satisfied with his fast their Ford Focus can go. Maybe they're telling the truth, but....
Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

I haven't heard much about the F1 thats why i am so sceptical. Who all has used an F1?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Choppers
I haven't heard much about the F1 thats why i am so sceptical. Who all has used an F1?
Fi is a VERY good company. If you've heard of RE, then imagine that before they got bought out. The guy that owned it I believe, left when they got bought out and started Fi. I've heard 2 Fi 12's each on a power1000 and they SLAMMED. I think they hit something like 146db without a sweat and the sound quality was great as well.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Ok so which Fi would i need to look into?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I run Kicker Comp VR 12's in my Eclipse GST in a ported box. As long as you keep enough airspace for them and don't put insane power to them, they sound great and last forever. I.E. they are not junk. 120 watts to them is all I need to round out the sound and get a full 15hz-21khz out of my system -which is really what its all about, unless you're just a bass junkie.
I'm building a fiberglass enclosure for my Z28. I'll be running the 2 Kicker L7 dual voice coil 12" speakers I've been placing in contests since Y2K. Anyone who tells you that Kicker isn't a contender in ANY car audio arena is a fool.
Hell, I'll still run Lanzar and Orion amps if I can find them. The ONLY way to determine if something is going to work for you is to TRY it in YOUR application. I'm sure those Infinity speakers I was baggin on would work great for someone who is into all treble action. But I didn't dig 'em, can't recommend them, and stated CLEARLY the reason why.
One installation rule you have to remember is that statistically you have to double your wattage to gain 12 decibels. This is balanced against the efficiency of the speaker in question, resistance/load, and enclosure type. And all these variables will effect the frequency range and "color" of the sound produced. Lesson learned; Just because the speaker didn't do well in your application doesn't mean its a shitty speaker. It means that either you didn't pick the right speaker or you are a lame *** installer.
Choppers, for your application, I would seriously look into a Boston Acoustics G510-4:

Boston Acoustics premier G5 10-inch SVC competition subwoofer
3-inches of peak-to-peak excursion
2" 4-layer voice-coil
Radialvent cooling technology
SureSet impedance selection and overdrive protection
SPS (Soft Part System) removable assembly enables DVC/SVC swaps and field repairs
Optimized for small sealed enclosure 0.5 cu. ft.
Can be field-stripped and custom painted, plated, or even powder-coated
Integral sealing gaskets simplify both standard and inverted mounting
Compatible with GTR TunableRadiators, for increased bass performance output without added enclosure volume, will also act as a second subwoofer without the full price of another subwoofer! Up to 3 dB SPL increase!
Power Handling: 900 Watts
Rated RMS power handling: 450 watts
Nominal Impedance: Single 4-ohm(SVC)
Linear Excursion : 3 inches
Recommended Enclosure: 0.5ft (14.2L) volume sealed
Mounting Cutout Diameter: 9-1/4" (235mm)
Mounting Depth: 6-3/4" (171mm)

I have run a few of these at 600+rms with no problem. They are underrated like Rockfords stuff. They will set you back about $160 a piece. But you should never have to replace it and it WILL give you a woody. Even a bigger woody if you get the dual voice coil model. That way you can run parallel across the two coils and run at 2 ohms.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

If it were my money for SQ i'd go with the Image Dynamics IDQ10V3 (bear in mind this sub will take about 400w max).

Or the JL10w6. Clean , crisp and hits a ton.

Not knocking the other brands but dollar for dollar that's what I'd go with.

I currently run a single IDQ12 (dvc) in a 1 cu.ft. box and it sounds very crisp and articulate.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

i am definately leaning towards the w6 10' if ian at keeaudio can get a me a box that will work great with that sub.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

The Q is better than the W6....
Old 06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

can you get me a link to the q sub you are referring to?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those JL subs might not physically fit in the stealth box and most likely will require a lot more airspace than the stealth box can afford it to operate properly. That is an awfully expensive sub to make that mistake with. lol
Old 06-23-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

yes i do agree. thanks for all you guys's input. i will now leave it up to the box maker kee audio to decide on whats best for me. I have 5 subs to choose from. Te RE, Fi, JL, Kicker, and pioneer premier 10.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ;11802316
yes i do agree. thanks for all you guys's input. i will now leave it up to the box kee audio to decide on whats best for me. I have 5 subs to choose from. Te RE, Fi, JL, Kicker, and pioneer premier 10.
I would NOT get Pioneer for SURE. I think I might hook up my Infinity in the next day or so, so I might be able to let you know how it sounds in a stealth box. I know in a ported box they sounded amazing...
Old 06-23-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

I haven't heard anything bad about pioneer. can you elaborate?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't heard anything bad about pioneer. can you elaborate?
Its just a really cheap sub...I've seen quite a few blow as well...
Old 06-25-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

ok guys i think i am set on this sub Fi SSD10. After doing alot of research there seems to be no complaints. Also should i do all the updrades (flatwind coil, copper coil, BP Power)? And whats a dust cap?

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript
Old 06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

ok guys i think i am set on this sub Fi SSD10. After doing alot of research there seems to be no complaints. Also should i do all the updrades (flatwind coil, copper coil, BP Power)? And whats a dust cap?

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript
No need to do the upgrades.
If you go with all the options, then IMO for $10 more just get the Fi Q10 instead. Which still has more XMAX than the SSD.

DUST CAP = The center piece on the subwoofer cone.

Quick Reply: 10 inch sub