Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

The black stuff on the inside of the doors

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The black stuff on the inside of the doors

Hi All,

What is the best way to remove the black sticky stuff that holds the plastic on the door is... Want to dynamat the doors.

I cant remember what I used the last time I did this.. has to be 10 years ago...

I searched but did not find anything... any ideas would be great...

Thanks!!!!
Old 07-03-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kcarlasc
Hi All,

What is the best way to remove the black sticky stuff that holds the plastic on the door is... Want to dynamat the doors.

I cant remember what I used the last time I did this.. has to be 10 years ago...

I searched but did not find anything... any ideas would be great...

Thanks!!!!
goo gone????

maybe take a scraper?

can you not just put the dynamat overi t?
Old 07-03-2009, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
goo gone????

maybe take a scraper?

can you not just put the dynamat overi t?
Dynamat over it. I just spray the doors with a good degreaser for a quick wipe down. The thing about dynamat is that the hotter it gets, the harder it sticks. I've about a hundred dynamat jobs. None of them come back saying that it peeled off for not removing that black stuff. We call it monkey spit at the shop.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Rubbing Alcohol, gasoline is always a really good cleaner too. I'm getting ready to dynamat here in a couple weeks.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Now that you say that.. I think we used to go right over the top of it too.. just seemed to simple ;-)
Old 07-03-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what all do/are you guys going to dynamat...

im thinking about my doors and back in the ttop area to quieten the exhaust down some..

any ideas on how much it would cost to do this?
Old 07-03-2009, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

around a couple hundred bucks.. between the doors and the rear hatch area. I may do the floor boards also.. depends how much I want to tear it down...

Kee Audio has some on his site and its all over Ebay as well
Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

NO NO NO NO!!!

This stuff is easy to get off. (You do it like any tacky adhesive. This works for price tags, etc. also.)

Get a rubber glove and grab a small bit of the goo off the door and pinch it so it sticks well to the glove. Next dab the goo you just pulled off the door on to more goo on the door. You'll find that the goo on the door will stick to itself more than anything else and the goo ball in your hand will grow and grab more goo.

This takes a bit of practice and by the time you get halfway through a door, you can do a whole one in 5-10 minutes. If you dab and slightly twist as you pull away or dab and snap your hand to the side as you pull away, it may go a bit better for you.

If you have a few stubborn spots that won't come up, you can use acetone to dissolve the rest. Acetone is the solvent for this substance (nothing else will work well) but use it very sparingly because it will dissolve your door panel. You can buy acetone in any good hardware store or use nail polish remover. (Old style nail polish remover, the kind that burns you eyes/nose, is acetone but there is new stuff on the market - so you will need to check the label if you go that route.)

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE GASOLINE. Gasoline is meant to be used outside of your car and in the engine only. Gas fumes are heavier than air and will sink in the foot wells of your interior and will stay there. This is an explosive situation, and needless to say, can ruin your day/life/car. (When gas stored in the tank, lines, engine compartment, and you are fueling the car, its always in areas where the fumes fall to the ground.)

If you want to put the new water deflector up on the door, you can get a new one from GM. It comes with the black adhesive pre-applied and goes up real nice. The black stuff looks like weatherstrip adhesive, but its not. Its something else, which I can't remember. I just get the new vapor barriers from GM because they are cheap and easy to use. Check out GM Parts Direct for prices for the LS1 parts:

Drivers Side - 10279947
Passengers Side - 10279946
Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone....
Old 07-05-2009, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kcarlasc
around a couple hundred bucks.. between the doors and the rear hatch area. I may do the floor boards also.. depends how much I want to tear it down...

Kee Audio has some on his site and its all over Ebay as well
The best part about working for a big company is that you get dynamat for less than a 1/4 of what they charge. For everybody else who doesn't want to drop $400 on a shop pack, you can use other sound deadners like Raammat (the butyl based one) or Second Skin.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 4THGENCAMAROFAN
Rubbing Alcohol, gasoline is always a really good cleaner too. I'm getting ready to dynamat here in a couple weeks.
I used rubbing alcohol to clean the black stuff off the inside of my doors.

Quick Reply: The black stuff on the inside of the doors