Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon sound quality via Ipod

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Monsoon sound quality via Ipod

So here is the deal. I like the look of the factory Head Unit but I know it does not sound as good as an aftermarket deck. My question is, would the lack of sound quality be real noticeable if I hooked up my Ipod/Iphone with the Peripheral iPodŽ GM Interface Kit to the stock Monsoon rather than an aftermarket unit?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack your thread, but looking at that kit, does that have a USB port that the iPod plugs into or is it iPod specific? It'd be killer sweet if I could use that for my Zune...
Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by OffspringZ28
So here is the deal. I like the look of the factory Head Unit but I know it does not sound as good as an aftermarket deck. My question is, would the lack of sound quality be real noticeable if I hooked up my Ipod/Iphone with the Peripheral iPodŽ GM Interface Kit to the stock Monsoon rather than an aftermarket unit?
Using the interface kit will give you about the same sound quality as playing a CD in the head unit. Any problems with sound quality aren't from the input signal but rather with the HU's internal amplification that adds distortion regardless of the audio source.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Using the interface kit will give you about the same sound quality as playing a CD in the head unit. Any problems with sound quality aren't from the input signal but rather with the HU's internal amplification that adds distortion regardless of the audio source.
So I should just go with an aftermarket head unit and take advantage of my CDT speakers huh.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by OffspringZ28
So I should just go with an aftermarket head unit and take advantage of my CDT speakers huh.
Not necessarily. It depends on your priorities. Certainly the factory HU is known for distortion (especially at higher volume levels) but many people want to keep the factory look and just add some capabilities.

If you like the factory look or prefer it for theft avoidance then adding an iPod or auxiliary input adapter will give you more music sources while retaining the factory appearance. The sound quality won't be any better or worse than what you're currently used to - and for many people, that's not too bad (depending on how loud you like your music).

If you want better sound quality in addition to extra features then an aftermarket HU is the way to go. Since you've already replaced the speakers, replacing the HU will give you a noticeable improvement in sound quality and will also extend the life of your speakers.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Not necessarily. It depends on your priorities. Certainly the factory HU is known for distortion (especially at higher volume levels) but many people want to keep the factory look and just add some capabilities.

If you like the factory look or prefer it for theft avoidance then adding an iPod or auxiliary input adapter will give you more music sources while retaining the factory appearance. The sound quality won't be any better or worse than what you're currently used to - and for many people, that's not too bad (depending on how loud you like your music).

If you want better sound quality in addition to extra features then an aftermarket HU is the way to go. Since you've already replaced the speakers, replacing the HU will give you a noticeable improvement in sound quality and will also extend the life of your speakers.

So I would need to get an aftermarket HU along with steering wheel control adapter correct? Lol the $$ adds up fast