Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

DUAL Head Unit Won't Take CD's

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DUAL Head Unit Won't Take CD's

Well.. I think it died! Recently, out of nowhere, my head unit does not take CDs or DVDs anymore. I put it into the slot, I hear it trying to pull it in, and it doesn't pull it in at all. I've tried pushing it in all the way by hand, but it can't pull it in that last little bit at all. Is there anyway to fix this, or is it shot? I really like this head unit, so if I have to do without the CDs then I will..

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gears on the motor that pulls it in are probably stripped out.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
Gears on the motor that pulls it in are probably stripped out.
Thanks.. and I'm guessing there's nothing I can do about that?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldn't think so, unless you're willing to tear apart the head unit and replace that gear.... i don't even know where you'd find such a gear...
Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Bah that sucks. Alright guys, appreciate the help!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry it went out, they sell some pretty cool-lookin head units...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

ATTENTION PEOPLE THAT OWN DUALS (not directed at the original poster)

You bought a Dual head unit. You don't get to ask questions, complain, or comment when it dies. Notice I said when and not if. It's a sure thing that it will break within a year, give or take, if it isn't already **** out of the box. Seriously. The amount of tards I get at work with these ghetto *** radios. I've removed more broken duals than any other radio. Hands down. Then Jensen/Phase Linear is a close second.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree about the quality, but as i said, some of them do look pretty cool...
Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately that's a Dual for you. They do have some pretty cool features as far as multimedia options and a multitude of input options for all kinds of media but they are very low quality and do break very often. I actually have Dual as a brand through one of my distribution wholesalers in addition to Phase Linear, Boss, Pyramid, and several others like them. Notice I don't recommend them. This is because I don't trust that my customer would have a good experience with any of those in the long run.
I do have several good multimedia HU's though from Clarion and JVC that are very nice but of course cost more money ie:
Clarion's new VZ-309 and JVC's KD-AVX77, KD-ADV49, KD-AVX40, and KD-AVX11. I still have to get these back up on the site as they are just now being replenished by JVC. These are more expensive then the media players by Dual and some others but you really do pay for what you get. I've used an older JVC AVX1 to this day and never had an issue with it. I have the AVX77 waiting to go in one of these days...just haven't gotten around to it because the AVX1 is flawless and works perfectly. Anyone who wants it let me know...I've had it since new and I feel bad about taking it out since there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

The AVX33 is a decent unit. I picked it up new at work for $250. I wouldn't have paid full price for it but I'm glad I got a half decent little radio for the beater.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:01 AM
11 Second Club

Oh wow I didn't know Dual was crap. The head unit is pretty damn cool, but it just stopped taking CD's recently, that's my only problem with it so far. Plus I've had the car for a year, and I'm almost 100% sure the previous owner didn't change the HU, so it's probably been in there for a while.

I always use my iPod anyway, but it still sucks that the CD function doesn't work now.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think i'd end up the same.... if my CD drive went out i don't think i'd care [i use my iPod all the time as well], cept that i couldn't listen to demos from bands at local concerts on the way home anymore...

Quick Reply: DUAL Head Unit Won't Take CD's