Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

the best laser detector for them damn automated cameras?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are "No Turn On Red" signs ive seen quite a few. and what if there was a median that he either had to drive through the grass (Illegal) or run the red light (Illegal aswell) or make a right hand turn on red (Illegal; if posted) lol so he was pretty much screwed. lol
Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
I've never heard of no turning right on red. Or you could always turnback the way you came and find another route. I'm not saying you should have to do that but its better than getting a ticket. Next time that happens get out of you car a look at the camera there should be a phone number. Call that number up and bitch them out.
There was not a camera at the intersection and I did not get a ticket. But the point remains - if there WERE a camera - as proponents of the idea would want - then I would have gotten an undeserved ticket like millions of other people already have.

No turn on red signs are VERY common in my area.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
There was not a camera at the intersection and I did not get a ticket. But the point remains - if there WERE a camera - as proponents of the idea would want - then I would have gotten an undeserved ticket like millions of other people already have.

No turn on red signs are VERY common in my area.
Like I said I cant make assumption for the area you live in. Trying to say if there was a camera there you would of got a ticket would also happen if a cop saw you. You could try to say the light wouldnt change but it doesnt mean he will believe you. You would have a better chance of making an illegal u-turn and tell him whats happen.

Last edited by JeaneZ28; 08-14-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
there are "No Turn On Red" signs ive seen quite a few. and what if there was a median that he either had to drive through the grass (Illegal) or run the red light (Illegal aswell) or make a right hand turn on red (Illegal; if posted) lol so he was pretty much screwed. lol
I would talk to your mayor or govenor about that. If there is no way to get around it without breaking the law they would have to change something.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

If a cop saw it, I would most likely have been able to explain my way out of it as long as it was clearly not a dangerous move on my part, and it wasn't.

There is certainly nothing that makes "no turn on red" illegal even if there's no alternative in the case of a glitched traffic light.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

That was a pretty contrived "what if" situation. Red light cameras are deployed at high volume intersections where they can catch the most offenders (whether that's for safety or for revenue). I've seen plenty of intersections where the sensor in a lane doesn't trigger the light (especially on a motorcycle). I've seen several intersections posted no right turn. And I've seen places where u-turns are illegal. But I've never seen a high volume intersection where the sensor doesn't work, it's posted for no right turn, and you couldn't make a u-turn after turning. BTW, some people end up sitting at a red light because they went over the line and the sensor is behind them.

What if little green men from a flying saucer pushed my car into the intersection causing me to get a ticket from a red light camera? (They'd have to be little so the camera wouldn't see them.)

Red light cameras don't catch people when the light changes to red while they're in the intersection. It only gets those who enter the intersection when the light has already changed. The yellow light is not an invitation to try to hurry through the intersection - it means STOP if it's safe to do so. If you enter an intersection after the light has changed despite having 4+ seconds of warning then you need to check your speed, your brakes, or your driving skills.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Red light cameras don't catch people when the light changes to red while they're in the intersection. It only gets those who enter the intersection when the light has already changed. The yellow light is not an invitation to try to hurry through the intersection - it means STOP if it's safe to do so. If you enter an intersection after the light has changed despite having 4+ seconds of warning then you need to check your speed, your brakes, or your driving skills.
Bullshit. Downright false.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Bullshit. Downright false.
That's it? That's your best response? Care to back up that thoughtful remark with some kind of evidence?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why something happens is often times more important than that it happened at all. In this case, the fact that the camera being there isn't going to prevent someone from doing something "unsafe" to begin with lends credence to the probability that the cameras are simply there to add to government revenue. If this is true, your tax dollars have been spent on devices to be used to screw you out of yet more money.
Interestingly, most of the earlier traffic laws on the books state "by conditions". The speed limit was left to the discretion of the driver, by ambient road and weather conditions, as long as it was at or below posted speed limit. Apparently, they can't trust our "discretion" as drivers and have to control everything now... or at least benefit financially from it. ...sad state of affairs.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 108dragon
. In this case, the fact that the camera being there isn't going to prevent someone from doing something "unsafe" to begin with lends credence to the probability that the cameras are simply there to add to government revenue. If this is true, your tax dollars have been spent on devices to be used to screw you out of yet more money.
I disagree with you, everytime I come to the intersection with the cameras I make sure I stop if it changes to yellow. I never take a chance on beating the light.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just for anyone with a motorcycle, its not weight that triggers the light. The sensors are looking for magnetic fields created by cars. Since motorcycles have a very little magnet field, they dont trigger it. You can buy strong magnets to keep under a motorcycle that will trigger it (assuming the sensor is working lol)
Old 08-14-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
Just for anyone with a motorcycle, its not weight that triggers the light. The sensors are looking for magnetic fields created by cars. Since motorcycles have a very little magnet field, they dont trigger it. You can buy strong magnets to keep under a motorcycle that will trigger it (assuming the sensor is working lol)
That's conjecture, and I was in a Camaro anyway.

@WhiteBird: The red light camera "issues" are VERY well documented. I'm tempted to think you have some sort of agenda to be defending them like you are.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I hate automated enforcement devices as much as anyone else but not for the same reasons. I believe they promote a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude which is contrary to the rest of our legal system.

The only thing I hate more is a driver who thinks they should be able to get away with things like excessive speed (66 in a 40 comes to mind) or running red lights and stop signs. As a driver, and especially as a motorcyclist, these behaviors put my safety in jeopardy and I believe that current penalties are nowhere near severe enough. Someday, perhaps they'll realize that the 60-90 seconds that they would have waited at the light are just not that important compared to the risk. Many drivers have become so self-involved that they seem to think that the road is their own and anything (or anybody) that slows them down is a personal affront. They need to grow up and realize that everyone uses the roads and that a little control and courtesy will work better in the long run.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I hate automated enforcement devices as much as anyone else but not for the same reasons. I believe they promote a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude which is contrary to the rest of our legal system.

The only thing I hate more is a driver who thinks they should be able to get away with things like excessive speed (66 in a 40 comes to mind) or running red lights and stop signs. As a driver, and especially as a motorcyclist, these behaviors put my safety in jeopardy and I believe that current penalties are nowhere near severe enough. Someday, perhaps they'll realize that the 60-90 seconds that they would have waited at the light are just not that important compared to the risk. Many drivers have become so self-involved that they seem to think that the road is their own and anything (or anybody) that slows them down is a personal affront. They need to grow up and realize that everyone uses the roads and that a little control and courtesy will work better in the long run.
Well stated.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's conjecture, and I was in a Camaro anyway.
No, its proven. There are companies that sell them and have videos proving it (with forums backing it up). It would be sooooo much more expensive to have a weight sensor at every light over this.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I disagree with you, everytime I come to the intersection with the cameras I make sure I stop if it changes to yellow. I never take a chance on beating the light.
Thats another good point. There are some people like you who go thier entire lives with "safety first" vests on. What you fail to realize is that the rest of us -the ones who get gaffled whether we actually deserve it or not- are too busy living our lives to do a full scan for "automated traffic devices" at every intersection. Do not confuse this with being an active traffic troll or "self-involvement". This is simply the condition of human life in modern society. Heck, where I live, the cops regularly hit thier lights and blast on through a red light. And I know they aren't on an emergency call, because I was aggrevated enough to follow them a couple of those times.
And WhiteBird00, the latter half of your statement bears witness to the increase in legislature across the board. Some people have a tendancy to not be able to control themselves. So more and more laws are implemented in an attempt to "control" these individuals. As a result, society as a whole loses freedoms and privileges. This, coupled with reduced funding for law enforcement (which bugs me, as automated traffic devices ain't any cheaper for taxpayers) and cops worried about thier own safety (not that being a cop was EVER a "safe" job) has resulted in an increase in "automated" law enforcement. Sucks, but it is what it is.
I never said that individuals endangering others by action or omission of action was justified. I am saying automated law enforcement is no substitute for good human judgement -on either side.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 108dragon
Thats another good point. There are some people like you who go thier entire lives with "safety first" vests on. What you fail to realize is that the rest of us -the ones who get gaffled whether we actually deserve it or not- are too busy living our lives to do a full scan for "automated traffic devices" at every intersection. Do not confuse this with being an active traffic troll or "self-involvement". This is simply the condition of human life in modern society. Heck, where I live, the cops regularly hit thier lights and blast on through a red light. And I know they aren't on an emergency call, because I was aggrevated enough to follow them a couple of those times.
Its got nothing to do with safety. The cameras I've seen are pretty noticeable. If you miss seeing these cameras you're either to blind to be driving or a big ******* idiot. I drive for a living and I watch these people fly threw the yellow just to get caught at the next light. I watch people everyday with no respect for the driving laws or anyone else on the road. I will guarantee if you get a ticket for running a light you wont forget that camera is there. So have fun living your life when you plow in to Mini-van killing a family and wind-up in prison for the rest of your life.

Last edited by JeaneZ28; 08-14-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thsi thread went about a ******* radar detector to a stupid *** argument... just answer the dudes questions...
Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its got nothing to do with safety. The cameras I've seen are pretty noticeable. If you miss seeing these cameras you're either to blind to be driving or a big ******* idiot. I drive for a living and I watch these people fly threw the yellow just to get caught at the next light. I watch people everyday with no respect for the driving laws or anyone else on the road. I will guarantee if you get a ticket for running a light you wont forget that camera is there. So have fun living your life when you plow in to Mini-van killing a family and wind-up in prison for the rest of your life.
I possess a CDL with a flawless commercial record and have been riding motorcycle for the last 30 years. While I don't disagree with what you are saying, most of the people you are describing aren't avid road trolls. They are just doing life in modern society. Lack of common sense and active malice are two entirely seperate things. As far as the cameras go, it is not hard to not notice something you aren't actively looking while navigating metro traffic.
BTW, Every major intersection in the city where I live has a camera system. Problem is that everyone here knows that there are only six of those systems operational, for financial reasons according to the city. They have already lost whatever respect they might have had for this system to begin with.
Lastly, I have no problem killing people. But they will never be women, children, or non-combatants. And the circumstances will certainly never involve the front end of my Camaro either. Ergo, there is no leverage in your position with me in that respect. Sorry for the forward reply, but you played that card.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Just get the plate covers made by photoshield.com.They work.The camera can't read your # so no ticket can be sent.I love those covers, I don't have to worry about the fast yellow change any more.