Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

installing an aftermarket sub and amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installing an aftermarket sub and amp

okay, well i am installing a sub and amp, with a power cap, and for some reason, i keep blowing fuses. (amp calls for 60 amp, and thats what i am giving it) everything is wired correctly, (not crossing + and -'s) where could it be? and where could i start to diagnose the problem?

thanks

jimmy
Old 12-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jimmy 2 Times
okay, well i am installing a sub and amp, with a power cap, and for some reason, i keep blowing fuses. (amp calls for 60 amp, and thats what i am giving it) everything is wired correctly, (not crossing + and -'s) where could it be? and where could i start to diagnose the problem?

thanks

jimmy
Well lets start by asking, is your battery disconnected? Next, what size cables are you running, how powerfull is the amp, is the cap a half or full farad cap, is it grounded properly, What type of fuses are you using? try a circut breaker in place of the fuse under the hood, try a second fuse after the cap too. give some more info, maybe some pics too, just to give us an idea how its wired
Old 12-02-2003, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

okay,the amp is a RF power 1000, the cap is obviously 1 farad, it is wired, 4gauge all the way to the cap, then from the cap another 4 guage to the distribution block, which goes into 2 8 guage wires directly to the amp (the bigger RF amps have 2 8guage inputs) then grounded with 2 8 gauge inputs. the cap is also grounded with a 4 gauge wire. when i turn the deck on, the power led lights up, then before the bass actually hits, the inline fuse blows. it is a 60 amper which the amp calls for. and as far as the breaker, the only one i have is a 100 amp.

for the grounds, i went straight into the metal (i even sanded the paint, so it is straight metal) all the +'s and the -'s are wired up correctly, this is why im so confused

thanks
jimmy
Old 12-03-2003, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure if it's the same amp, but I own the Rockford bd1000a1 and it calls for a 90amp I believe. Next, breakers become less and less reliable each time they trip. First time it might trip at 100amps. Next time, 102. Next time 102. Next time, 105. Next time, 110. You get the idea. And DO NOT put a fuse between the cap and amp. That totally defeats the purpose of even having a cap.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah.. just try a bigger fuse just don't go too big. This has this problem for me before.